Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to Capture Dv tapes

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Having some problems capturing miniDV tapes to Premiere. I have CC 2019 on a mac osx 10.15 and everything is up to date. I've had this miniDV camera for over 12 years and have captured footage through it many times. I use firewire and connect the camera like always. Last time I captured a tape was maybe a year ago so some kind of CC 2018. So when I tried doing it again on the same camera same computer it didn't work. I'm able to get the Capture window to Play, Pause, Stop the tape but no timecode pops up and it says "Wrong Input Format. Try Changing Camera Format or Capture Settings." So I've tried going through settings but this is a very consumer type camera where I can't change a lot. I've tried adjusting setting in the capture window and that doesn't work either. I have even installed past versions of Premiere to see if that changes anything. I did notice at some point there was an option for DV or HDV. Now in recent updates I only see HDV, could that have something to do with it? I did try going back in an old version with DV and that didn't work as well. Im giving up on the capture idea if I can't figure this out so also let me know what would be the best HQ alternative for capturing dv tapes.

Thanks!!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact problem. It seems like "DV" is no longer an option under "Capture Format" on the Capture Settings in Premiere Pro CC 2019. I can't believe that DV has been dropped in the most recent release. I still have plenty of DV tapes that I'd like to capture, and I can't believe that Adobe has abandoned this format. Please advise, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Trying to capture DV footage from a Canon XL1s mini DV camcorder, but the camera does not appear, nor does the option to select DV rather than HDV.  What gives??? I am able to get the camera to appear in iMovie, but must run it through the Canopus ADVC100 to get any audio with the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here... DV is NOT listed under capture format???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem.  I am outraged at this point with all these BS updates.  I only use my system with a DV camera and DV tapes.  Completely fed up with tech these days.  Tosses hands in the air.  I guess I'll just have to create flip book animations now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use these programs for Firewire capture:

WinDV   WinDV

HDVSplit   HDVSplit 0.77 beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a workaround to this issue. Capture using Quicktime. Go to File > New Movie Recording, Click the arrow next to the record button and change Camera to DV-VCR and Microphone to DV-VCR. Press play on external video player and hit record on Quicktime.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Alfredo -- I am able to capture video from DV tapes by running it through my Canopus video converter, so I don't have to use your workaround -- however, I just tried it with the lates Quicktime Player, and the only option shown is the Facetime HD Camera built in - Quicktime Version 10.5 (1015.2.1) with latest Catalina updates...this may not work for anyone with the latest Mac updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small Town Gal, I have a Cannpous ADVC 110, it's not showing up in premiere at all.  Are you using the same model?  I'm using Premier Pro 14.1.0 (build 116) on OSX 10.15.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to capture soon after updating to Big Sur and at first had the same problem with limited options. I re-downloaded and opened camlive and cam twist (which I had previously used for doing a FB live using a DSLR instead of the facetime HD chakuti chakuti) - and then the extra option showed up. Sharing in case this is of assistance for anyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Small Town, I just checked my setup and Quicktime (v10.5) still allows me to capture DV on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3. It does not show the dropdown arrow to the right of the record button, but if you click the area a dropdown menu pops up. I'm using a Sony DSR-25 connected via Firewire to capture my tapes.
qtime-capture.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi If you're havinig problems with using Quicktime player to capture I'd make sure when you've clicked create new movie recording to select the arrow beside the record button which should bring a drop down menu which shows all the input options - where you should select your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe that Premiere has dropped the DV capture option. Thanks for your workaround using Quicktime. It seems to have done the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree... It would be nice if Adobe would reinstate DV capture. I ended up dusting off an old mac with Premiere Pro CS 6 and was using it to capture then transfering the videos to Premiere Pro 14 to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the blame on Apple, not Adobe. You see, Apple had depreciated all DV capture starting with Catalina, where only iMovie and a few hardware encoders with their own software are now allowed to capture DV. The only fix for that, in this case, would be to either revert back to an older version of OSX or switch to Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I tried Alfredo's work around and it was successful...  Last weekend.  After importing footage I filmed more on the same cassette.  Further attempts to import footage have resulted in the camera not being recognized by QuickTime.  Does anyone have any insight?  I tried rewinding to the beginning, and that didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Eventually figured out it's the DV option is no longer available.

Adobe, please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree - bad on Adobe's part that DV capture option no longer exists - they need to reinstate it. I used the QuickTime workaround that alfredoc77666270 suggested. It's not ideal but better than nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very disappointing that it still hasn't been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had success with a very recently purchased (May 24th) Premiere Pro 2021 on Windows 10. I was able to capture DV from a Sony Handycam. The problem I am trying to solve now is audio drift. Premiere Pro doesn't provide any adjustable settings when capturing DV, so audio drift has to be corrected after the fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had success with a very recently purchased (May 24th) Premiere Pro 2021 on Windows 10. I was able to capture DV from a Sony Handycam. The problem I am trying to solve now is audio drift. Premiere Pro doesn't provide any adjustable settings when capturing DV, so audio drift has to be corrected after the fact.

By @Dianne5ECD

If you are on Windows, try re-capturing with ScenalyzerLive since it is a better capturing tool than Premiere Pro´s and it handles 44100 Hz audio better as well and thus avoiding audio drift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, video capture in DV or HDV works on Windows 10.1? Then this is a Mac OS problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, video capture in DV or HDV works on Windows 10.1? Then this is a Mac OS problem.

By @danp46659710

Yes, it works in Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep. Apple depreciated DV support beginning with OSX 10.13 (High Sierra), and dropped DV support completely beginning with 10.15 (Catalina). As standard DV captures in Mac only support 32-bit QuickTime codecs that have already been phased out of support by Apple, DV captures have been dropped along with support for the 32-bit QuickTime codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines