Highlighted

Not able to drag anything anywhere at all

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for reading my question

Here is the problem:

I'm doing a family project which I'm editing in premiere pro. Yesterday I was using premiere pro with no problems at all. Today I opened the same project and everything looks normal but when I tried to drag new clips to the timeline, nothing happens!. I thought that the clips were not in the correct format but that's not the problem. I tried to re-drag the transition clips that I was using before having this problem and I can't drag them anymore. It doesn't matter what I try to drag, I even created a small black video from premiere pro itself just to see if my files were bad but not even that is being able to drag.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

P.S. As I was typing this question, I also realize that the same symptom is happening in AE! I can't drag anything at all to the compositions. (I know that this last thing should be in another section, but just to let you know)

Help please!

I was having exactly the same problem you described.  All of the sudden I could not manipulate clips in a sequence.  I couldn't add anything to a sequence from the project window and I couldn't slide slips around in an already created sequence. 

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and discovered that for whatever reason sometimes one of my open explorer windows will hang but explorer will not crash.  After I restart windows explorer with the task manager Premiere started acting normally again.  I could drag in clips and move them around as usual.  So for me, this is a windows 10 explorer problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Not able to drag anything anywhere at all

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for reading my question

Here is the problem:

I'm doing a family project which I'm editing in premiere pro. Yesterday I was using premiere pro with no problems at all. Today I opened the same project and everything looks normal but when I tried to drag new clips to the timeline, nothing happens!. I thought that the clips were not in the correct format but that's not the problem. I tried to re-drag the transition clips that I was using before having this problem and I can't drag them anymore. It doesn't matter what I try to drag, I even created a small black video from premiere pro itself just to see if my files were bad but not even that is being able to drag.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

P.S. As I was typing this question, I also realize that the same symptom is happening in AE! I can't drag anything at all to the compositions. (I know that this last thing should be in another section, but just to let you know)

Help please!

I was having exactly the same problem you described.  All of the sudden I could not manipulate clips in a sequence.  I couldn't add anything to a sequence from the project window and I couldn't slide slips around in an already created sequence. 

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and discovered that for whatever reason sometimes one of my open explorer windows will hang but explorer will not crash.  After I restart windows explorer with the task manager Premiere started acting normally again.  I could drag in clips and move them around as usual.  So for me, this is a windows 10 explorer problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 29, 2013 4
126 Replies 126
People's Champ ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're trying to drag things to the Timeline Panel

without having a Sequence loaded.

Find your Sequence in the Project Panel, and double-click it.

This will load it into the Timeline Panel.

To create a new Sequence:

Be sure that your Sequence settings match your footage by doing this:

DragAndDropCS6.png

Or, right-click a media file and select 'New Sequence From Clip".

How do I choose the right sequence settings?

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/how-do-i-choose-the-right-sequence-settings

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the secuence is open with all the clips that I have put so far on it but when I try to add anything it just doesn't do it. By the way, the project is not even that big since I just started it, everything looks good but no luck so far

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 1
People's Champ ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely you have tracks enabled?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what I'm viewing right nowtimeline.png does this help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
People's Champ ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to enable a video track (highlit):

enabled.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 3
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems that the highlight just did the trick *sigh* thank you guys, I'm a relatively a newbie at this.

Thanks all for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 1
People's Champ ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked for like a minute and it went back to the same problem, even though now is highlighted

sorry! I don't know what's happening

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
People's Champ ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro / Adding clips to sequences

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7d27a.html

Premiere Pro / Working with clips in a sequence

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7d0fa.html

Premiere Pro / Rearranging clips in a sequence

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7d04a.html

Adobe Premiere Pro Help / Source patching and track targeting

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/source-patching-track-targetting.html

You might look into using the 'Insert' and 'Overwrite' functions

for adding clips to the Timeline instead of dragging.

Premiere Pro CS6 Techniques: 14 Insert & Overlay Edits

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Premiere-Pro-CS6-Basics_14/1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for all the info, I'm reading it now

one more thing, maybe this might help figuring out what is wrong with my mess.gap.png

something must be wrong with the sequence or something, because if you see that gap right there, I'm not able to move the last clip backwards in the timeline so it can side next to the last clip on the left. Somehow every single clip on the timeline is frozen

any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 1
People's Champ ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely you are using the 'Selection Tool'?

selection.png

Adobe Premiere Pro Help / Trimming clips

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/trimming-clips1.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, is on selection tool, that is the first thing I checked

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
People's Champ ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FAQ: How do I learn Premiere Pro?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878529?tstart=0

Getting Started with Premiere Pro CS6

http://www.video2brain.com/en/getting-started-with-premiere-pro

Adobe Premiere Pro Help and tutorials

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/topics.html

Premiere Pro CS5-CS6 Reference

(.pdf 12 MB download)

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere_pro_reference.pdf

The definitive tutorial list in message #3 courtesy John T Smith:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

highlight just did the trick

Something weird is going on.  You're the fourth person I've seen report that dragging and dropping didn't work without track routing.  But it shouldn't be that way.  Drag and drop should not be at all affected by track routing or targeting, and for my two systems it isn't.  I can drag all day long without the highlight, various sequences, various media types.  It just always works for me.  But so far I seem to be the exception.

Strange.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim: If you're referring to the behavior discussed in this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/5512407#5512407, then I think you may have missed a key element. You wrote  there that "with all targeting and routing off, I still get the entire clip if dragged." That's actually consistent with what Steve, ShooterNZ and I reported. The deal is that if only audio tracks are targetted, then dragging will deliver only the audio channel(s). Likewise, if only a video track is targetted, then dragging will add only video.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Jim..pay attention.

slap.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2013 1
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.todaytranslations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/simpsons-language.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello guys

thanks for all the answers that you have provided me so far. Today I decided to start all over completely, but the problem persists!

I leave a picture of my screen to make myself clearer DRAGGING.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2013 0
People's Champ ,
Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stumped.

Can you drag the same media file to the 'New Item' icon

and create a new Sequence as pictured in post #1?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2013 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you load the clip into the Source Monitor and play it there?

I'm not very familiar with VOB files, but as I understand it copyright protection mechanisms can come into play.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2013 0
Enthusiast ,
Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone's doing there best to figure this out but then I come with fire! Export some XMLs and other good stuff(just in case you can't open back your project...) and re-install

PS: Use the CC clean tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

@joe: No, I can't drag it anywhere at all

@mark: No, that doesn't work either , the VOB file was just an example, I already tried lots of different extensions (avi, wmv, mp4, mp2) NONE of them work

@Jayson: I will keep trying to keep working things out if not, I will have to reinstall the program altogether

Thanks for the help guys

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2015 5
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not upgrade to Windows 10 yet because I wanted to wait to finish my current project to avoid problems like this. I am still running windows 8 and was having the same problem as you guys. I could move clips for about a minute and then it wouldn't let me. It was the video toggle I guess because as soon as I turned all of them on it's worked fine............

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its happening to me on windows 7. am using Premiere CC 2015. its on and off, I cant drag transitions either but if I keep trying it sometimes works and sometimes not so I have to be patient. Dont understand. I have tried all those fixes above but still I have this intermittand dragging and dropping thing happening. moving tracks, adding to the timeline with effects etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an update to my previous post about windows explorer hanging in Windows 10.  Its been months and I still am having a problem with explorer freezing and requiring a manual restart using the task manager.

I have a dual monitor setup and the problem occurs exclusively when I try to drag a file from a folder on one monitor and drop it into either Premiere or Audition on the other monitor.  If I click and drag a file between the two monitors as soon as my mouse crosses the boundary between the monitors explorer suddenly hangs and only the folder I was dragging from becomes unresponsive.  Any other open folders remain responsive.

The fix remains the same, open the task manager and restart explorer.  This of course closes all my open folders which is annoying.  This happens about once or twice a day and is not predictable or immediately repeatable.  There is undoubtedly a bug but it must be pretty low on everyone's radar. 

Its possible it is a driver problem but I keep all my graphics and motherboard drivers up to date.  Again, this problem only started to occur after updating to windows 10.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2016 0
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was it exactly for me.  Windows 10 - I had to select the Windows Explorer process from the Task Manager, and then hit the Restart button.  After that, all dragging and dropping worked as expected.  Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, you're a life-saver

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2017 0
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a bit old  but I had this problem now and  ....... surprise  : 

in my case was a defective mouse

Replace the mouse fix premiere .

Hope this help others avoid time lost .

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2013 0
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's December 14th, 2013...and I am having the same exact issue (dragging simply does not work ANYWHERE for ANY function inside of Premiere Pro Version 7.2.0 (46), running Windows 8.1 64bit.

I only downloaded CC to this brand new computer a few days ago...and Premiere was working correctly the first day...but the second day (after no changes that I can think of), dragging inside of Adobe Premiere just doesn't work.

I CAN drag a selection box over several files and have them all become selected (in the project assets window, for example), but if I try to drag an individual file or object anwhere, it won't work. If I try to drag clips on existing timelines, they won't drag, etc. There's no change in the mouse cursor icon...nothing happens (except that the mouse cursor moves as if it's simply hovering as usual).  This is very very odd. And frustrating as hell.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm running a logitech wireless mouse (and keyboard) and maybe for some reason the drivers for the mouse screw with Premiere (for the drag-move function only?). I tried disabling any custom settings in the logitech software, but that didn't do it. I then tried plugging in a completely different brand of mouse...and that didn't work either. Installing the logitech software is the only thing that I can think of that has "changed" since I installed the Creative Cloud suite...but I haven't touched any of the settings in the mouse software. I'm going to try uninstallig the logitech software anyways, and I'l report my findings in a bit.

In the meantime, if there's anyone out there that has a simple solution to this perplexing problem...please let us know. Obviously editing is nearly impossible if you can't drag anything anywhere...

EDIT:

I just found a solution! But I don't know the cause. For some reason, some application or setting in Windows was locking on the drag-move functionality. Hitting ESC (escape) disables the drag-move lockout (thought I don't know why). Here's the source: http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-management-support/34278-weird-windows-8-drag-drop-problem...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2013 4
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I was stuck and getting goosebumps reading this thread but somehow dragging was a windows issue.. Esc worked.. Sounds so simple but I was really scared for a minute there..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2014 2
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend!

Frustrated as hell all morning for this simple fix!!! (My Dairy had moved onto the escape key and prevented any drag and drop!)

Hit the escape key and walla! Back to work!!!

🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never posted to a forum before but after thinking I had to start over, the Esc worked for me too!  Thank you so so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You gosh dang LEGEND!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got what sounds like a similar issue today, "suddenly" I couldn't drag more video clips into the sequence. I had just locked the first 3 audio and video tracks.. I tried to unlock them and it didn't help. I found i could drop a video into an audio track only (no video clip created only audio), or I could drop a video clip that had no sound or a still image into the video tracks. Eventually, I "armed" the A1 track.. suddenly i can drop clips again as normal. I unarmed it -still works.. dont know why but maybe something to try.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2014 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Newbie here working with Premiere CC 2014. I've been having the same problem. Everything works out fine but suddenly, I'm unable to drag a footage to the video timeline, but then I can drag it to the audio timeline. Weird. I researched for the best trick on the web but was not able to find any. So i tried "guessing" and clicked the Automate to Sequence button which automatically placed my footage to the timeline. Not sure if this will work with you guys but it worked for me. Thanks!

automate to sequence button.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2014 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like source patching might have gotten disabled for video tracks. In the screenshot below, source patching is enabled for V1 but disabled for A1.

SourcePatching.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2014 4
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mark, I was starting to lose my mind on why I couldn't do what I needed to unless I closed Premiere then reopened it, is this something that could have been triggered by the recent update? I've never had this problem before..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2015 0
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2016 0