• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nudging audio track less than a millisecond- Very Precise

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make music videos so I time clips very specifically to songs.

I need to match an original audio file exactly to a re-encode of the same file. I’ve clicked on show audio time units and have been nudging the clip as precisely as I can. But for some reason I can’t match it exactly.

Here’s a screenshot showing what I mean:

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 4.43.40 pm.png

If I nudge the clip left or right, even when showing audio time units, it will go too far in either direction so the waveforms never match up. The difference is very small obviously but I can notice a difference in parts.

Is there any way to be more specific with the nudging here to make it fit exactly? Or another way to make it match the other file exactly?

TOPICS
Audio , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Adding a final update to this.

After months of having given up on this I found out that the problem was Premiere itself. Whenever it rendered out the audio it would be slighly out of sync to how it was in the project.

I found out the issue was Premiere itself when I recently exported the same project I had tried to export back in June (when I wrote this post) on the latest version of Premiere (15.4). The render I made on version 15.4 was perfectly in sync with my initial render. I reverted back

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Select both elements on your timeline, Right click / Synchronize / Choose audio.

Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that option was less accurate than manually doing it. Thanks for the advice though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is one of your audio tracks attached to a video track? you may have to unlink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of them was linked to a video file but isn't anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the timeline zoomed in as far as possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the screenshot above is the audio at the maximum zoom. Basically, the trough that's next to the playhead at the top in that screenshot- I want to line that up with the trough in the audio at the bottom. But I'm already at maximum zoom and nudging it with alt-arrow keys moves it too far in either direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I'm already at maximum zoom and nudging it with alt-arrow keys moves it too far in either direction.

By @hobbesedits

So how does it look and sound when you play back the audio?

Audio does not need to be 100% in sync with the video, it will look great anyway. Of course, a couple of frames off will be bad, but you are only a couple of time units off and no one can notice that when they see/hear the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is an other way.

As Richard mentioned it, zoom at max or descent zoom amount at least.

Then use markers ( M ) to determine exactly the point where you want to synchronize on both tracks.

Select both tracks, Synchronize / Markers.

Should work.

By the way, it seem to me to be an extrem kind of sync. Did the audio sync failed to synchronise correctly your two files ? It is pretty accurate since it synchronise audio track by analysing the wavefrom.

Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And nudging clips will always be based on your frame rate not the audio samples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll try that. Might be having some luck with just manual moving as well though so I'll see how I go. Yeah, the audio is a song with a lot of elements so I think that's why it may have failed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's less pricise, but try unchecking Audio time units it just to see if you get lucky and it happens to line up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a final update to this.

After months of having given up on this I found out that the problem was Premiere itself. Whenever it rendered out the audio it would be slighly out of sync to how it was in the project.

I found out the issue was Premiere itself when I recently exported the same project I had tried to export back in June (when I wrote this post) on the latest version of Premiere (15.4). The render I made on version 15.4 was perfectly in sync with my initial render. I reverted back to version 15.2 to test if this was the case, and the render I made on version 15.2 was out of sync in the exact same way that had happened to me when I wrote this post.

So this problem is solved with the update now thankfully. If anyone else is having similar issues I'd suggest trying to install older versions to see if those render correctly for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka! I got the answer.

Here is what to do:

Click the hamburger (three lines) next to Sequence name, check “show audio units”, turn off snapping by un-highlighting the magnet icon or hitting S (magnet icon found under time display under sequence name), then you can manually move the track by milliseconds.

Et voilà!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, worked like a charm for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines