• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nvidia GPU not being used while exporting video

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export a 30seconds video and it has 2 adjustment layers which has just Unsharp Mask Effect. When i try to export it with Hardware Encoding and CBR Bitrate encoding settings then it takes 30mins just to export that 30seconds video and the GPU is hardly being used! whereas when i delete both the adjustments layer, and export it then it gets exported in 10seconds with the GPU being used completely fine. I am really frustrated by this issue. Please help me fix this.

IMG_20210323_223321.jpg

export speed whithout the adjustments layer

IMG_20210323_223416.jpg

export speed when i delete the adjustments layer

Screenshot (1).png

My Export settings

My Laptop Specs:

Asus Tuf A15

AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Hexa Core Processor

8gigs of RAM  

4gb Nvidia GeFORCE GTX1650 Graphics card

512GB SSD Storage

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

There is loads of great information in this thread, so I thought I would put it together for anybody else having issues of the same nature so it's easier to find:

John said that not everything uses CUDA and here are a few things on that and other hardware acceleration notes:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-all-about-hardware-encoding-in-premiere-pro-14-2/m-p...
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/everything-you-need-to-know-about-gpu-in-premiere-pro/td...
https://community.adobe.com/t5/Premiere-Pro/GPU-Rendering-Unavailable/td-p/10726745

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but it's literally taking 30mins to export a 30seconds video! don't you think it's way too ineffecient to work like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unsharp mask is a non GPU-accelerated effect, plus you have other effects there too, hence the 'speed'. Follow these rules to be more effective: Order of filters/effects and drop in CUDA-rend... - Adobe Support Community - 10510537

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. i read the post. I'm sure there is only the unsharp mask effect on both the adjustment layer and yeah, i have duplicated the whole video and added the "tint" effect to it. What should i do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops and yeah the adjustment layer has opacity effect too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also i'm sorry there's a typo in the post. The first photo of this post is the export speed *with the adjustments layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off max render: will add significant export time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. Tried what you said but the export time now shows 10minutes. I wonder if its some bug or i don't know because how can two adjustments layer make so much difference in the export time? The video is just 30seconds with not so many effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unsharp mask" is actually a pretty hefty effects for the code required. PrPro needs to "re-imagine" as one engineer put it much of the image. Put that on an AL with several other effects on a computer with barely the hardware to open PrPro, and yea, it's going to run for a while.

"Hardware encoding" on many rigs, depending on which CPU you've got and what it's got internally, may mean the CPU is the primary encoder. 'Hardware encoding' doesn't mean "use the GPU". So on some rigs, "hardware encoding" is slower than 'software encoding' ... and you have to test to see which works better on your rig.

CBR ... constant bit-rate, also quite often slows things down. Premiere MUST make X number of data-bits per frame, whether they will have any visual effect or not. VBR tends to be less intensive on the hardware. And you're not going to be able to see any difference whatever in the final file.

And Ann is right ... Max Render Q isn't doing anything at all for you. The only use for MRQ is when you are doing significant resizing of the image on the sequence, and ... you are gettting jaggies on diagonals in the resultant file. If not, leave it off.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answering. I have two adjustment layers and both have unsharp mask but different volume. Also i have duplicated the video and added tint effect. I basically followed a tutorial on youtube to make a video more HD? like it somewhat makes the video look more brighter, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post link to this tutorial. Not all provide good information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://youtu.be/PQVYN_xQLuM

That's the video! I hope you watch it and reply back with what's going wrong with it. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a load of rubbish. There is no such thing as making an image more HD or HDR.

Title should say How to destroy your image.

But if you like it's fine by me.

Couple of things that make long render times.

25 > 23,976

Blending modes

3x unsharpen mask (this non GPU effect should be used very subtle. It will look awful in final export or on YouTube)

Max render checked.

Little RAM. Don't say what kind of CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! i am new to editing and as i have a gaming laptop, i assumed that premiere pro should work smoothly on my laptop and when it didn't, instead of educating myself i got mad at adobe haha. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. This is an incredibly complex application, heavy in resource demands on the computer. And not exactly good at telling us what specific things we can or should do for it to work better.

It can be darn puzzling at times for experienced users.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is loads of great information in this thread, so I thought I would put it together for anybody else having issues of the same nature so it's easier to find:

John said that not everything uses CUDA and here are a few things on that and other hardware acceleration notes:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-all-about-hardware-encoding-in-premiere-pro-14-2/m-p...
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/everything-you-need-to-know-about-gpu-in-premiere-pro/td...
https://community.adobe.com/t5/Premiere-Pro/GPU-Rendering-Unavailable/td-p/10726745

Basil chimed in with talking about ordering effects to be more efficient, here are a few links to that:

Order of filters/effects and drop in CUDA-rend... - Adobe Support Community - 10510537

Ann and Neil noted that "Max Render" is mostly useless to employ unless you are upscaling AND getting diagonal jaggies. For the most part, this setting can be left off and will significantly increase render times if on. Also changing framerate is harder to encode.

Neil also noted that CBR (constant bit rate) takes longer to render than VBR (variable bit rate) and there is no significant improvement in quality. I'll note that CBR and VBR were more used in live streaming to create a more efficient buffering. I don't see it as worth doing in videos either and VBR is the preferred choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines