• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

nvidia RTX 3060 Ti - Studio driver not available

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love if someone knew the answer to this.

I've just built a new computer 

Ryzen 3950x

RTX 3060 Ti

Windows 10 Pro

Premiere Pro 14.7

With Premiere now supporting GPU-based decoding of h.264 videos I would assume playback of my timeline (a bunch of 4k h264 videos, no effects applied) would have the load shared with the GPU. While playing back and looking at my task manager, most of the load is on the CPU, the GPU barely wakes up. 

Nvidia currently only issued the Game-Ready driver for the RTX 3060 Ti, no news regarding the Studio release. 

Doing a pretty much same test on a computer with an RTX 3070, the load is split about 50/50 between the GPU and CPU, while playing back from timeline. 

Is it possible that the h.264 GPU decoding isn't available with the Game-Ready driver? 

Of course, I have Mercury acceleration enabled and both boxes ticked on the H.264 encoding/decoding options. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! 

Cat

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Ok so I have just answered my own question and will relay here in case someone is having similar issues and doesn't know what the problem is. 

I was doing a test on a signle 4k h.264 clip that i cut up and scattered about the sequence. The decoding was mainly on the CPU, GPU woke up to max 11% at best but mostly remained at 8%. 

I asked nVidia customer service on their web chat if the issue is with the driver to which they didn't know the answer and couldn't comment on future Studio driver release

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go install it the latest Studio driver, see what happens. Let us know. Do a CLEAN install from nVidia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is no studio driver (and there is none) then the Game Driver will do just as fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m running the GR driver, that’s why I was asking whether the studio driver would really make that much a difference. It seems insane that one of PP most awaited new gpu acceleration wouldn’t work on a GR driver. Maybe my issue is somewhere else? Or maybe there isn’t an issue at all, it’s just that as I said doing the same test on a different computer the GPU load is quite apparent (20%) whereas on mine it literally stays between 0-1% 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trouble is that the latest Studio Driver was released before the RTX 3060 Ti was. As such, the latest Studio Driver does not support the RTX 3060 Ti yet.

Until then, use the Game Ready Driver in the 460-series branch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I guess I should have said that I am using the game-ready driver. That’s why I’m asking if it’s the studio driver that would make the difference (altho it seems pretty extreme that such a function wouldn’t work on a GR driver). As I hit playback I should see the GPU take some of the load but it’s all done with the CPU. Once I hit render I can see the gpu wake up too. The question is regarding the h.264 gpu decoding - to me it doesn’t seem as if it’s working as all the load stays on the CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I have just answered my own question and will relay here in case someone is having similar issues and doesn't know what the problem is. 

I was doing a test on a signle 4k h.264 clip that i cut up and scattered about the sequence. The decoding was mainly on the CPU, GPU woke up to max 11% at best but mostly remained at 8%. 

I asked nVidia customer service on their web chat if the issue is with the driver to which they didn't know the answer and couldn't comment on future Studio driver releases.  

After many forums and articles I finally got to my problem. Rather than h.264 as a whole, the problem lied with the 4:2:2 colour space. None of nvidia's GPUs currently support HVEC 10 bit 4:2:2 decoding. 

I then tried a different 4K h.264 clip shot on iPhone, one form a canon 70D and one from a DJI Mavic 2 all of which have  4:2:0 colour space and ta-daaaa GPU indeed takes on the work and CPU stays between 1-2%.

So there, 3060ti indeed works for h.264 GPU decoding with a game-ready driver. The problem is the colour space. 

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just checked, and found that none of Nvidia's GPUs, nor do any of Intel's IGPs or AMD's GPUs, support hardware decoding of 4:2:2 H.264 (AVC) at all - only 4:2:0 is supported for H.264/AVC. Only Turing and newer GPUs (on the Nvidia side) support H.265 (HEVC) decoding of 4:2:2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Breaking news:

The new Studio Driver 460.89 is now available. It is the first Studio Driver version to officially support the RTX 3060 Ti.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines