• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One More Newbie Question

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your thoughts re keyboards and mice for use with Premiere Pro?

Are items marketed for that purpose worth the cost?

I'm specifically looking at the Logitech Craft keyboard, the one with the dial on the upper left hand corner, and the Logitech MX Anywhere 2s laser mouse. Both are wireless.

What do you think are the best keyboards and mice for video editing?

Thank you very much.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you think are the best keyboards and mice for video editing?

The best are the ones you personally like. Today i use a Logitech G 413, silver, backlit. I have tested many keyboards but when i tested my first backlit keyboard i was hooked. I prefer one color instead of pumping and flashing RGB models. Most of them are all called gaming keyboards but i don´t care, backlit trumps that.

I have used color keyed keyboards from Logickeyboard but once Adobe changes the shortcuts they become kind of obselete unless one re-map the shortcuts back. None of them were backlit at the time.

So there is no one-size-fits-all IMHO, so looking around and test in stores and buy some nice ones to rty was the way to go for me. For some time i loved the Apple aluminum keyboard and used that on Windows. They have a special feeling when typing on them that i still love, but are not backlit. Backlit comes in handy when sitting in a dark room working.

I use a Contour RollerMouse Red Plus as my mice. It´s an ergonomical mice and takes some days to get used to. But when i started to use it my carpal tunnel syndrome stopped. This device saved my digital life...

The Logitech Craft keyboard looks like a gorgeous keyboard. Seems like a perfect buy. 🙂

keyb.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a contributing author over at MixingLight.com, a colorist's subscription website ... and my, do the folks there tend to have heavy iron and every doodad possible. Computers with at least 128GB of RAM, 2-6 Streamdecks hooked up at once, and of course with all the variuos control surfaces for both color and audio.

So ... keyboards are a big thing over there also. But there's two purposes for a keyboard ... the first is for your general use, typing and such. The second is for access during editing/grading/audio work.

Many of the folks I know end up with two keyboards. The 'regular' one and their option while working video post. One guy is totally Resolve base, REAL heavy iron guy, and loves the Resolve editing keyboard which is a chunk of change. Others, just as based in Resolve, and also sporting massive amounts of tools/toys, think it's an expensive totally non-useful replacement item.

I've ended up adopting something that is common "over there". I've got an ergonomic keyboard for general use, the Microsoft Sculpt, with the middle-split and angled sections that have been amazingly kind to my poor old wrists.

But ... when working in Prmiere/Resolve/Ae, it goes to another surface. I've got a full Tangent Elements panel, which goes onto my normal keyboard shelf, with a Razer Orbweaver Chroma as my "button box" for additional macros to the left. The desktop has my Wacom tablet on the left, a small wireless keyboard in the middle, and either my Scupt mouse or for long days, a Logitech 4-paddle trackball.

I only use the keyboard for keyboard shorts or quickly typing a start for a search in Premiere normally. Don't need the full keyboard stuff, and it isn't hard on my wrists as it's used so little.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logitech Craft keyboard looks nice. It does all come down to personal preference though (and key 'feel' for me).

I've never been particularly keen on dials and additional devices, mainly as I have to work in so many different environments - it's just better to become as proficient as possible with just using keys.

I do however like my MX2 mouse. Logitechs software and byzantine 'support' could do with some work though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're putting the cart before the horse, to coin a phrase.  If you're going to dive deep in to color correction, a panel may be the way to go...Track balls are particularly useful with resolve.    for editing, any keyboard and mouse are probably fine imnotsohumbleo.  I have yet to have any carpel tunnel...  Keyboard shortcuts are great timesavers but at. least for me, you've got to learn them incrementally.  Some are very intuitive and some are not.  Not going to go in to details cause it all depends if you're on a mac or windows and if you're using the default premiere keyboard or one of the others or a heavily modified one.   Now that I'm working in both mac and windows, my brain is melting down but since I'm primarily working in windows after years on the mac, when I find a particularly useful shortcut, I put it on a post-it and stick it on the bottom bezel of the monitor until it's becomes a reflex...  but that said, when I started on the avid I was obsessive about figuring out the fastest way to do things, now I realize the creative part of the process is gonna take some time, so what's the rush... bwdik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for your quick and useful replies. And, for your patience with a raw beginner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We all were once raw beginners, some not so long ago ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines