• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

open captions are blurry

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm manually adding open captioning in PP 15.2 and it is blurry. I'm manipulating the settings in the Captions/Essential Graphics area but not finding anything that clears it up. Thank you for any suggestions!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is PP? Once we know that, someone will be along to move this post to the appropriate product forum, where you are more likely to get an answer to your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Premiere Pro forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new caption workflow in Premiere Pro 15.x should not be blurry.

By "manually adding" do you mean you are typing the words into the caption tool (the Text panel)?

Screenshots might help.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Stan,

Yes, I am manually adding the open captions. I have added open captioning before. I’ve never had this issue though. It feels like a setting issue, but everything that I’ve checked looks ok.

One thing that is different, and maybe this is just the new work captioning work flow, but the open caption track doesn’t show up in the project manager(?).

Example shown below and when video is playing, text is unreadable.

defaultfpvdnr2muaoy_0-1623094837184.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot with the essentail graphics edit settings

defaultfpvdnr2muaoy_0-1623096053066.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot with sequence settings. 

defaultfpvdnr2muaoy_0-1623096197685.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sequence settings are equal to a post stamp (360x240).

Not surprising the subtitles are blurry as they are very tiny.

Post screenshot clip properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

I don't know what you mean "post screeshot clip properties" - which properties?

Thanks,

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pixel sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

defaultfpvdnr2muaoy_1-1623097163676.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really sorry that I'm confused. Pixel sizes in my Adobe settings or for my screenshot? (I don't know how to change either of those - please be explicit with suggestions!). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a very old video that I was given and asked to add captions. It is because of the quality of the project video file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the pixel size of the media in your project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pixels we're now asking about is your media file - your source video, which appears to be "...Deck FHWA Study.mp4." Your sequence settings (in your screenshot and as pointed out by Ann) are 320x240. If your media file is higher resolution, you can increase the sequence settings. If not, you are going to have difficulty.

There are simply not enough pixels in the frame to include captions that are so long without getting bad quality. Knowing your video pixel size will help guide you.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Thank you! This was really helpful. Sadly, the video that I'm starting with is 360x210, so I can't do anything about that in the sequence settings. I thought for sure that I was doing something wrong in Premiere Pro. Can you please confirm that the caption resolution is determined by the video frame size? Is possible to create clear captions in a poor quality video? 

Thanks!

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text requires a certain number of pixels in order to avoid antialiasing making the edges a problem. You just don't have enough. In my test yesterday, I wasn't close to the length of your captions.

But give it a try. Pick a clean font (Arial). Make it 2 lines of text with no more than 5 words per line. Adjust the font size so it fits on the bottom of your screen. How much text at what size works?

Options are to edit the script or make more caption segments that go by faster. You can try uprezzing the footage into a larger sequence. The video will look worse, and you can get more caption text.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try increasing the font size, but there are a few dozen captioned videos in this instructional course and the client prefers consistency, but I'll give it a try. I don't think that I can sacrifice any video quality to uprez, it's already pretty poor.

Thanks again for the explanation - it was really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more comment on this captioning thread - with the new work flow, do I have the flexibility to move the OC box down to the bottom of the viewing area - I can't seem to drag the box down any further (I'd like to fit 2 lines of text under the frame). 

defaultfpvdnr2muaoy_0-1623162696570.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can only get it to 95%, a little lower than in the previous caption workflow.

To get it lower, you have to use a workaround. See "To Adjust Caption Track Position" in this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-workaround-nesting-to-apply-effect-controls-to-capti...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines