Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions are disappearing when I adjust their length

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please help,

I've been working on a project for the last several days, adding open captions and so forth, and for whatever reason, today (on the third day of the project), when I choose to adjust my open caption length (each separate caption), they decide to delete.

So, for example, I have a huge sequence of captions. When reviewing my project, I found a mistake within two captions that I wanted to correct, i.e. I wanted to split a sentence into two separate captions so that the captions would flow with the dialogue.

I deleted the entire (initial, full length) caption to create the following two. I created the first (following) one, and when trying to adjust the length (from the initial 3 seconds) of such caption, premier decides to delete the caption. Same would go for the next one I would try to create.

The project is due today and this is very frustrating. I've searched the web and have found nothing. Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.34.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.35.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.35.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Observe how the caption is still in the project manager, as well. Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.38.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this reported before, but, as for you, it can be an issue because you are reducing the caption to a single frame. This may also occur due to a bug where caption changes are no longer visible in the program monitor or on the timeline.

In any event, the primary workaround is to adjust the individual captions in the caption panel, not the timeline.

I do not recall ever seeing what you have in some of your screenshots: you are modifying a caption in the timeline, but the is no caption stream displayed in the Caption panel. For example, post 1, screenshot 2.

Also, in that screenshot, the start and end of the caption (the little columns with the pointy tops) have NOT moved, but there is a white highlighted area that looks like the words have moved. I don't know what that represents. I cannot replicate it so far.

How are you adjusting the length of the caption?

What version of PR are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kaela97093128,

Were these captions created separately, or were they duplicated from a parent caption and then modified later? Also, please let us know the exact version of Premiere Pro that you are using.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine, a year later this bug still exists. Apart from the countless other caption bugs. 

V14.0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaah, just happended to me for the first time. A project close to dead line. 

Have tried everything but nothing helps. 

Please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erik,

I wish I had advice. Just wanted to hop on here and say I FEEL FOR YOU. I got stressed out reading your comment. Hope everything gets worked out. Hang in there! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erik, very frustrating.

Here is another thread with recent activity.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/open-caption-frame-disappears/m-p/11032169?page=1#M26165...

At any point, did you split this caption stream or duplicate it?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stan Jones This just happended to me as well after dupicating the captions. I can see all the caption on the timeline, but not in the Program Monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys I think i may HAVE A SOLUTION, just create a new item - caption and then star over and left the ofer at that point

Capture.JPG

It worked for me, i just hope you can find this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

This is also happening to me and I'm on a really, really, tight deadline. Check out the video - https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqias9xba63lodn/subtitle%20goes%20missing.mov?dl=0

I. Need. Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a deadline, try adjusting in the Caption Panel. Your caption stream does not start at zero, so it makes it a little tricky. Otherwise, you could position your cursor and copy/paste the timecode from the sequence to the end caption.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no idea this issue existed and I'm three days into Spanish translation and captioning, and now suddenly can't caption the last six minutes of timeline material without manually typing IN and OUT times. Is there still no fix for this Adobe?

DON'T IMPLEMENT A FEATURE IF IT KILLS WORKFLOW. Especially so if you aren't going to adress bugs for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any progress on this bug?? It just happened to me, and no amount of restarting, updating, clearing of caches...etc is seeming to help. I am trying to just create a new caption sequence, and it won't even let me add a new line now. What is happening??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a long thread with multiple problems. What type of caption stream have you created? Open Captions? It might help for you to post a screenshot of the Caption Panel and of your timeline.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue plus another one: When adjusting the length of a caption it snaps to the previous caption, which is not what I want (but then at least it won't disappear). Incredible that this hasn't been fixed yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had both of these issues as well. I found a workaround that worked for me on occasion - not every time, but worth a try: 

Simply copy + paste your caption track on a new video layer in your timeline, and then see if you're able to manipulate the individual captions properly. 

I was able to get this to work for awhile, and then sometimes had to do it again with the copied caption track if it started to behave the same way. Once I got everything in order I deleted the original track and cut the copied one where the copy's copy starts (if that makes sense), and then dragged them all to the same video layer just for timeline cleanliness. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

I often encounter a similar issue when trying to modify the lenght of a caption.
It either disappears from the timeline, or doesn't allow for modification at all.
I believe this happens only when I'm working on a caption "item" that I've previously cut with the cutter.

This is quite annoying as I have long projects with lots of captions to go over.
Please Abode  try to fix this as I believe it greatly affects workflows, time management, and it's very annoying. I do love Premiere Pro but this makes me question whether I should use another editing software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omar5FBE,

Adobe is revising the entire caption workflow in the public beta. It is not ready for primetime, but you will not see changes in the current caption workflow.

I recommend avoiding cutting captions. It is better to create a new caption in the area you want them and cut/copy/paste text as needed.

Cutting may work, but, like "duplicating" caption streams inside PR, it can result in odd problems.

It is possible to consolidate a "cut" stream by exporting the captions from the SEQUENCE and then import it. All captions must be on one track. Generally, this will not carry formatting information. Select the Sequence in the project panel, File -> Export -> Captions. 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stan for your clarifications. I'll try and let you know.

Omar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem as well and what I found to work was to "Move the Caption Item from one folder to another." I don't know if it works every time but it did for me. I moved my item up from one folder to the parent folder and after that I could adjust them again. This MAY be a SOLUTION for some of you so try it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: It seem to fix problems with adjusting length of EXISITING captions, however new ones you add still disappear when adjusted..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have a fix for this but I do have a work around. When you double click the caption, the caption panel should pop up. There there will be an intro and outro option. You can manually adjust it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wished manually adjusting the intro and outro fixed this problem but it doesn't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines