Highlighted

Open captions are disappearing when I adjust their length

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please help,

I've been working on a project for the last several days, adding open captions and so forth, and for whatever reason, today (on the third day of the project), when I choose to adjust my open caption length (each separate caption), they decide to delete.

So, for example, I have a huge sequence of captions. When reviewing my project, I found a mistake within two captions that I wanted to correct, i.e. I wanted to split a sentence into two separate captions so that the captions would flow with the dialogue.

I deleted the entire (initial, full length) caption to create the following two. I created the first (following) one, and when trying to adjust the length (from the initial 3 seconds) of such caption, premier decides to delete the caption. Same would go for the next one I would try to create.

The project is due today and this is very frustrating. I've searched the web and have found nothing. Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Open captions are disappearing when I adjust their length

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please help,

I've been working on a project for the last several days, adding open captions and so forth, and for whatever reason, today (on the third day of the project), when I choose to adjust my open caption length (each separate caption), they decide to delete.

So, for example, I have a huge sequence of captions. When reviewing my project, I found a mistake within two captions that I wanted to correct, i.e. I wanted to split a sentence into two separate captions so that the captions would flow with the dialogue.

I deleted the entire (initial, full length) caption to create the following two. I created the first (following) one, and when trying to adjust the length (from the initial 3 seconds) of such caption, premier decides to delete the caption. Same would go for the next one I would try to create.

The project is due today and this is very frustrating. I've searched the web and have found nothing. Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 10, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.34.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.35.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.35.02 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Observe how the caption is still in the project manager, as well. Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.38.50 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this reported before, but, as for you, it can be an issue because you are reducing the caption to a single frame. This may also occur due to a bug where caption changes are no longer visible in the program monitor or on the timeline.

In any event, the primary workaround is to adjust the individual captions in the caption panel, not the timeline.

I do not recall ever seeing what you have in some of your screenshots: you are modifying a caption in the timeline, but the is no caption stream displayed in the Caption panel. For example, post 1, screenshot 2.

Also, in that screenshot, the start and end of the caption (the little columns with the pointy tops) have NOT moved, but there is a white highlighted area that looks like the words have moved. I don't know what that represents. I cannot replicate it so far.

How are you adjusting the length of the caption?

What version of PR are you running?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kaela97093128,

Were these captions created separately, or were they duplicated from a parent caption and then modified later? Also, please let us know the exact version of Premiere Pro that you are using.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine, a year later this bug still exists. Apart from the countless other caption bugs. 

V14.0 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 3
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaah, just happended to me for the first time. A project close to dead line. 

Have tried everything but nothing helps. 

Please fix this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erik,

I wish I had advice. Just wanted to hop on here and say I FEEL FOR YOU. I got stressed out reading your comment. Hope everything gets worked out. Hang in there! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 1