Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Captions are not visible when exported

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am exporting a short video with open captions. They are enabled in my settings and can export just fine as an XML. When I go to export the video and click Burn Captions into Video they do not appear. Please help! (The screenshot below, captions should be appearing over video)

Export format is quicktime

Video Codec is Apple Pro Res 422 HQ

-Ryan

TOPICS
Editing , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

can you try to export it in h264 format and see 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you try to export it in h264 format and see 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I cannot believe it was that simple, Thank you! They exported!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great šŸ™‚ . If this solve the query I request either post moderator or query asker to mark this as solved so it wll be helpful for others with same query 

have a nice day 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screenshot of your caption panel. The most likely cause is that you either have something other than Open Captions (e.g. closed captions 608 or 708 require special Program Monitor settings to see them) or you have a mismatch between the caption stream pixel size and the sequence setting.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of my caption panel.

Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 13.01.06.png

ā€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Open Subtitling is not the same as Open Captions. Open Subtitling is actually a form of closed captions. 

I assume you want to burn in, in which case you definitely want Open Captions. You can convert Open Subtitling to Open Captions. Before you start, keep a backup of your project. Note that you cannot convert from Open Captions to anything else. So you can't undo this once done.

In the Project Panel, right click on the Open Subtitling caption stream, and File -> Modify -> Captions. Then pick Open Captions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to chime in & say I've had an absolute nightmare with the captions. All looked fine in playback, except when I went to render the timeline, without touching a single setting, it would squeeze the aspect ratio. Definately wouldn't output. I tried everything in all the other posts, including modify, removing any resizing, with no luck. Then I thought to finally check the sequence settings and discovered:

-Premiere Open Captions are apparently NOT compatible with ProRes 422 video preview settings.  I initially changed them to Animation, which finally allowed me to render without applying a squeeze.

-but, once I rendered, nothing showed up. As indicated here, I can confirm that one cannot export Open Captions in Quicktime, h265 (HEVC), or a variety of other modern codecs. You're stuck with h264, MPEG2, MPEG4 and other compressed settings. The quality is not amazing.

-I WAS able to change Sequence Settings->Video Preview settings. Didn't ProRes 422, but oddly ProRes HQ allowed me to render in the timeline without issue. I was hoping to export now as a quicktime, but no luck. As with above, stuck with h264 as the best option. I don't believe I'll be using this tool again until it's fixed - it's clunky, slow, and as we're seeing here - plagued with compatibilty issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clarifying typos above, since this forum isn't allowing me to edit: once I changed to Animation, Open Captions rendered fine but would not allow the captions to export, they vanished out the output file.   

-Open Caption, with Video Preview settings set to ProRes 422 did a weird distortion-upon-render thing, but seemed to render just fine within premiere when preview settings were changed to ProRes HQ, or Animation, likely others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ConcoctionLab, I did not see a problem setting Preview File Format to Quicktime, Codec Prores 422. I am on Windows, but those settings are available. Sequence is 1920x1080, Open Captions. "Rendering" (i.e. hitting Enter key or  Sequence -> Render In to Out) shows no distortion. Export -> Media, Quicktime Prores 422, Caption Tab -> Burn in: Result has burned in captions. 

PR export to Prores no longer has H264; what version of Premiere Pro are you running?

Some screenshots might help. You might also want to post this in a new thread.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines