• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Captions: Captions won't position lower (than 93,4%)? (Premiere Pro 14.9 or earlier)

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to position my open captions but for some reason, the lowest the font will go is 93,4% (vertical) - no matter how much I drag or write it to eg. 94%, 95% or 96%..

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 18.34.45.png

Which is odd, because in the first video I did captions for, I was able to drag the subtitles as low as I wanted - hence, there shouldn't be no limit as to how low I can position the subtitles. This is now the second video that won't position the captions beneath 93,4%.

How can I position my open captions lower?

Could someone help me out with this problem? Would really appreciate it. Googling hasn't helped

The version of Premiere Pro I am using is CC 2017 and I am using Open Captions for 23,076fps and 1920 x 1080 (just like my video frames).

THANK YOU!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Hi Aleksandraok,

I'm trying to position my open captions but for some reason, the lowest the font will go is 93,4% (vertical) - no matter how much I drag or write it to eg. 94%, 95% or 96%..

The %age value describes the position within the “Caption Area” (10% of the weight/height of it is a “Caption-free border”, so we use the inner 80% of the Video frame). The positioning is calculated “pixel-precise” internally, so typing 30% may result to something like 29.88%.

And 93.4% in your case for typing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would like to chime in and ask why we can't position the open captions lower than 93.4%.

I have a film that I've applied a 2.40:1 mask on and I'd like to display the subtitles in a different language in this area.

Also, the captioning has crashed the latest Premiere update a couple of times.

Love to hear the explanation as to why this feature is buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aleksandraok,

The %age value describes the position within the “Caption Area” (10% of the weight/height of it is a “Caption-free border”, so we use the inner 80% of the Video frame). The positioning is calculated “pixel-precise” internally, so typing 30% may result to something like 29.88%.

And 93.4% in your case for typing 100%.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the effects settings on the layer containing the captions. Just offset the anchor point of the layer! Done°

Hope this helps…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm a beginner here and I couldn't work it out. That was ridiculously easy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, THANKYOUUU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this simple, but very helpful answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i found out this trick too, but it is very annoying we need to find out tricks. I read these explanations about percentages and title free frames... That is for television prior to ten years ago. Please let us decide for ourselves as editors what we want, do not help with these anoying software interventions, just make it possbile te position the texts anywhere we want. For all captions, and per caption. I feel I have very poor controll now over the positions I want ot put my subs... Quite frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh the exact same goes for sideways. Sometimes I have peoples nametags in the image, then I need to move the positioning of that (couple of) specific captions to the right. It can not be done now. The percentage system does not allow it. I have to cut the caption layer and use the positioning tools of the layer in the effect controlls panel to move it further to the side. Please fix this Adobe, this does not work. I am going to look nog if there are also consequenses when you make a cut in the layer, perhaps it will give other trouble now... Hm, not so happy with this feauture. Does not have a nice easy flow, it has too much "will of its own."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Can someone explain this to a newbie step by step ob where to click etc? I just finished adding open captions to a project but i need my captions to be lower than what im limited to on the y grid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly annoying! Can the captions please be changed so we can type in pixel positions instead of a percentage? The way it currently is doesn't work.

The captions in our film are being displayed at different heights in the frame, some will max out at 79%, others at 81% so the subs seem to jump up and down in position. We need to be able to set the pixel height for one subtitle and to be able to copy it throughout in a couple of clicks. I'm not going to go animating the position of each subtitle so that it sits at the same height as the others, that's a real pain in the ass.

Also, the subtitles/captions don't snap to frames, so when trying to drag out the duration of them they have a tendency to overlap or leave blank frames. It's a really slow process to get these set out perfectly. Captions are a great addition to Premiere, but they need some work yet...

Before you mention it, I'm not going to re-write this as a bug and submit it as those always fall on deaf ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well. Captions in the same layer are sitting at different heights, some will only go to 79%, others to 82% and it's really, really difficult to make them consistent. All of the visible settings are identical.

Why can't we select all captions and make design changes to them all? Why do settings drop away? Why do some captions have different % limits than other captions which are in the same file and have the same settings?

Why is the caption editor just so damned awful??? This is basic, Microsoft Word level formatting and it's ridiculously difficult in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The caption tool was originally designed for closed captions, and even open captions follow some rules. They are "text" not word processor creatures, and yes, very frustrating. And that is before bugs get into the picture.

The y value/height varies based on font size, number of lines in the caption, and line spacing value - and maybe more. You can change all captions at once (use shift-click in the Caption Panel). Use the 9 box grid to set position. The bottom of the background box will be consistent, and the rest of the box adjusts per other settings.

See the correct answer in this thread for more info.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/open-captions-captions-won-t-position-lower-than-93-4/m-...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easier than them make it seem, just select the captions in your editing and then just go to the effect control and change the "Y" value... I know, it's a bit late for this answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works if you want to have burned in captions, but I'm looking to export mine to an SRT file, in which case adjusting the position in the Effects panel is not helpful.

Why is there an arbitrary limit on positioning set by Premiere? Give user more control! This coupled with the lack of kerning, line spacing for double rows – it's like pulling teeth. Miserable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can help me?

I tried other techniques and failed.

Can you be more specific?

What i have to exactly in  order to get the captions in black border?

Thanks.

Screenshot (13).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it limited to the inner 80%? I don't understand why engineers decided to make this limiting decision for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AronParker,

You are showing the Project Panel, and you have Open Caption and Open Subtitling streams. Open Subtitling is a type of closed caption, and any changes you make using the techniques in this thread (using effect controls to move the captions on the screen) will not be transferred. Open Captions will work only if burned in. Which type caption are you going to use? Are you burning in, embedding, or exporting a sidecar file?

Your screenshot looks like you may be referring to a black border around your video in the program monitor?

I suggest you start a new thread, and add a screenshot of the caption stream you are planning to use in the Caption Panel.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experimented now for some time today with this tool. It is realy bad, so many software errors in there, it is poorly built Adobe, realy poor software tool. No effective or intuitive controll over position X nore Y. When changing the length many times the entire Caption disappeared, which was then over after restarting Premiere, so not stable. Happens when you make cuts in the caption layer. Then when making new captions, may times it did not copy the old formating, had to do this manually many times over. When typing in the little caption window, you can not jump trough the text quickly, because tools like CTRL or CMD or ALT plus arrow keys do not move the cursor in the text, but move all the captions in the caption window up or down. I can not ALT + DRAG a caption in the caption layer to make a new one. And then finally I encountered another error, making it impossible to combine the alignment of two sentences. Sorry, but this is bad tool. I edit professionally and I have done this for over 15 years now, so I see myself as a user of good tools. Fix this tool, or delete it. This is not professional now. It is perhaps close, because i can realy see the added value. But when it does not work, then it is nothing. It becomes a tool, only when it works for 100% (or a bit less), but not like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,
this solution has helped me so much in the past. Many thanks for it!
Unfortunately I now have Premiere Pro 2021 / 15.0.0 and here it is not possible to get the subtitles further down via the effect settings. Whenever I go to effect settings, it says "no clip selected". You can move the subtitles horizontally in a minus and plus range. But the vertical shift only works in the minus area, if you move it above 0, you can change the number infinitely, but the subtitle doesn't move at all. You can also see this in this video, but unfortunately the lady doesn't mention that nothing happens here -> Min 10:00
It is exasperating. Does anyone have a new solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, see "To Adjust Caption Position" in my post here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-workaround-nesting-to-apply-effect-controls-to-capti...

It is not perfect, but you just nest the sequence with the actual caption track in the producton sequence.

Upvote this feature request:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42760940-move-captions-to-t...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines