Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions crashes Premiere Pro CC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
Everytime when I need to add open captions to a video and edit their timing, Premiere Pro CC crashes.
I have noticed, that it only happens when I copy captions from a word document, paste them in "TYPE CAPTION TEXT HERE" field, then press on IN: numbers, to set them to start at specific timing, and just as I press on the OUT: numbers, Premiere Pro CC crashes giving me error: Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
I can move caption start and end point in the timeline and it does not crash, but that takes too much time, if I know precise timing of when they should start and end.
screenshot.png

screenshot-error.png

Any ideas? Because if this adding open captions is taking forever.

I am on latest Windows 10, with latest Premiere Pro CC version, i7-8700K CPU @ 3,70GHz, Nvidia Quadro P2000, 16GB of ram and 240 GB SSD.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere's captioning tools are a waste of time. Rather than fight them, just render out a quick copy of your timeline and use a proper captioning program to generate your data files. Much faster to use, a full set of tools and no crashing. Aegisub ( http://www.aegisub.org/ ) is free and cross-platform, it's pretty much the standard tool for people who don't want to drop $20,000 on a Telestream license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word can put invisible, problematic characters in. So always paste to a text document (notepad) first.

However, I just tried this, and I do not have this issue. But I would simply try that first. What you are doing should work.

Generally, I do not find PR a good caption editor. If you already have the text and timings, I'd create an srt and import that. I like SubtitleEdit, a free app.

PR updated a few days ago to 2019.1.5. What version do you have? It should not matter; I don't think anything has changed in the last few updates for the simple task you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both!
I will try pasting to notepad at first. If it will still keep crashing, I will try your mentioned captioning programs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know what you try and what works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there,

I experience the same problem: premiere crashes, when I am copying in or out numbers. And I am not copying from word... Did you figure it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an old thread, and we didn't hear back from Ivo. What specific version of PR are you running? The latest is 14.7.0.

How are you pasting? Source? Method?

Thanks,

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines