Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions - limited support of fonts

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

which fonts are supported for Open Captions? How to install other fonts which i want to use? For instance I want to use some CONDENSED variants of fonts but it is not supported. Why? How to overcome this big problem?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,
i have this problem with font and caption since 2018, and can´t do subtitle jobs for our customer since two years. 
Where is the beta version of premiere for download (with the caption workflow you write)? I can´t find it in the Creative Cloud. 
Thank you.
Best regards
Orhan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

orhanb, I totally get it. Having a client that requires a font that cannot be used in the current PR caption tool is a real dealbreaker. I still consider that the public Beta caption workflow is not ready for primetime. But it is ready for you to check out!

The Beta version is available in the Creative Cloud Desktop under "Beta Apps." 

And here is the thread in the Beta forum for Premiere Pro that discusses the new workflow.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta/discuss-new-captions-workflow-in-premiere-pro/m-p/1...

I have found no problems having both the current release version and the Beta existing on the same PC. But that guarantees nothing.

NOTE: consider these 3 things in particular before installing. 

1 Some of what is described in Francis Crossman's first post in that thread is now old info. For example, it says that export to sidecar (e.g. .srt) is not available. It now is. The Beta version changes pretty much daily. You don't have to upgrade it, but once you do, I don't think you can roll back.

2 For that and other reasons, I recommend that you read the whole thread before jumping in. Yes, it is 8 pages.

3 Most importantly, read carefully his "Important things to know before you start testing this feature" - it's in the first few paragraphs. In particular, he says, "Enabling the new captions workflow will require the project to be updated to the next major version of Premiere Pro (version 15). This means your projects will NOT be backwards compatible with the current shipping version of Premiere Pro. All projects created in Premiere Pro Beta with this feature turned on, even if you don’t use captions, will be saved as version 15."

And finally, I would create a new test project for this, with its own assets in different directories than your active work.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick answer Stan. 
Ok, i see. I don´t know whether its good and stable to use the beta version.
What do you think, when the next version (not beta) of premiere with this workflow is available?
Best regards
Orhan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know when the new caption workflow will be in a release version. As noted in Francis Crossman's information, the Caption workflow requires using the next major release project version (15). The initial release of version 14 was November 2019. So it is already well over a year. And there is not guarantee that the intial release of version 15 would include the new caption workflow.

I would not use the Beta version for professional work, but others may have a comment on that.

As I said, I have had no problems with the current release coexisting with the Beta. You could do all your video/audio work in the current release, then import that "final" in the Beta version and do the captions for burn in.

What font are you needing? I can check to see if it is working - as long as it is a free font.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the zip/notepad hack you can revert. I had to as the beta at that time was unstable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. For example, I'm already using Bebas Neue then I selected Bold for Font style. And now, I can't even use the Bold one so I'm using the Regular style. Then, after I saved a project, went to sleep, and now, even the Regular one is gone, too. How can I bring it back since the bold is the default for the project I've been working on. Thank you for your reply. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines