Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Captions Quality Issue

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've come to notice this annoying issue regarding open captions when working in non Latin language, i.e. Korean.

capture-1.PNG

the first screenshot above captures the aliased, jagged, "low-quality" display of caption, while the image below shows better quality, anti-aliased, smooth caption, which was generated using the legacy title tool.

capture-2.PNG

Both captions were made using the same font family and size with the same weight. Any solutions? Am I doing something wrong here?

I am using the latest Premiere Pro CC 2019 v. 13.0.2 (Build 38) English (International) version

P.S. Found out the issue isn't limited to non Latin languages; it persists in English captions and fonts as well.

Should I drop the open captions?

Any support would be helpful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue.

Vote here to support fixing.

Anti-Aliasing on Open Captions – Adobe video & audio apps

I don't see a single list of workarounds, so I'll repeat them here. I don't think any give a good result, but let us know what you find.

Re: Captions Text Poor Quality

Modify the captions stream so that it is higher resolution. I switched from my 1920x1080 sequence setting to 3840x2160. You'll need to position the caption to the middle to see it. Then change text size to what you need. Position using Effect Controls panel.

Font, size, edge, opacity; all may effect the result. In this test, either resolution looks a little better with a 2 pixel black edge on white with a black background.

Re: Captions vs. titles in Premiere Pro CC. Captions pixelated

Doubling the font-size of the captions and then scaling the entire captions-clip down in "Effect Controls" to 50%. This effectively doubles the resolution of the rendered text and creates a good visual result with only a few clicks.

Re: Premiere CC Open Captions - Poor rendering (aliasing)

A workaround regarding alpha channel that I could not replicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.

Fortunately, turning the edge(stroke) on of the captions seems to do the trick for this case, but I'm not sure if it is the case for every instance, as you've pointed out.

It's shocking that such seemingly simple feature is still very buggy and painful to use, given the status of an "industry standard" professional program.

Not to mention that it has been a long-time issue, pointed out by many users.

Hope Adobe sorts this out in the near future.

And even the Open Captions is throwing me critical errors. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the exact same issue today, maddening as they looked fine when I created them then after a week I went to make some edits and they were a blurry mess. Oddly I was also using Korean. Added new subtitles and saw they were crisp as expected. Went through all the advice online but with no success. Eventually exported my existed subs as an srt and reimported. Was trying to line things up again when I noticed that the subs would go blurry and sharp depending on what line of the screen they were on, in effect controls I was pushing the subs further down the screen and if the Y position was an odd number they were blurry, even number sharp.

Capture.PNG

Gareth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines