• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions text not centre aligned with background

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to do some simple open captions (white text with black background) and the text is not in the centre of the background box, which looks pretty bad. Can't seem to change it as all controls change the text and background as one. There's got to be a simple solution...? Any help much appreciated.open_captions.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Known issue and no fix yet. I know of no workaround. I reduce the opacity of the background box - sometimes all the way off.

Problem if burning in; If your exporting srt, it won't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue and no fix yet. I know of no workaround. I reduce the opacity of the background box - sometimes all the way off.

Problem if burning in; If your exporting srt, it won't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always use the Roboto font as Adobe should default to this font across MAC and PC for the next update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fionaf,

Sorry to hear that you are facing the alignment issue with Open Captions in Adobe Premiere Pro.

This is a known issue and we are working on it. My apologies, I don't have a workaround or a helpful response.

I would advocate on your behalf.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when this will be resolved? 8 months after you acknowledged this is a known issue, and I'm still experiencing this flaw. It looks so unprofessional and is very, very poor from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a workaround that worked for me. It seems to be a font-face related issue. I tried many different fonts until I came across a couple that worked. Futura and Open Sans. There are probably others but I stopped looking. You just have to try them out for yourself. Hope this helps.

caption-solution.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, good to know. Still crap that we can't use any font we like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Roboto is the best universal font now across all Adobe software for most default content including captions. Its the new helvetica/arial for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's October 16th, 2019 - One year later - still not fixed to work with Arial and many more Fonts! When can we expect a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was reported 2 years ago and still nothing has been done. In this day and age where everything on social media is captioned you would think we would have a solution by now unless i'm missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously guys — please can this be fixed, spent ages looking for the right front and now this box doesn't want to center..... it's 2019, please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12 months on and still not fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually....

I had not looked at this closely enough in recent versions. PR Version 13.1.3 (we are now on 13.1.5 as of yesterday or the day before) had several Caption changes. Two of them were:

- Added control line height control in caption preferences
- Handle the line spacing correctly for free positioned lines

I don't know what the second one does. But the first improves the problem here. A previous update provided the ability to set line height on import. Now there is a line height setting to the right of the Edge setting.

Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan - where are these settings in the program? I have updated to 13.5 but can't find them anywhere. Very annoying issues! Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patrick_de, that was confusing. They call it "line height," but the name in the Caption Panel is "Line Spacing." It is to the right of "Edge." It is available only for Open Captions.

You can set it from 0 to 100. In my test just now, I was getting odd results with captions set to upper right, and perhaps others. 0 sets the text right at the bottom of the background block; 100 makes the background block taller and sets the text just under the middle. This may vary by font; I tested only Arial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simonweber203, see my responses Sept 19 and Oct 1 at the bottom of this thread. There have been improvements in this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it's still doing this for most fonts even after the latest update. 

The workaround is just to set up your captions and apply a "crop" effect to the caption layer and crop down the extra space at the top of the background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 years later and it's still not fixed. Yours is the only actual solution here and it's unfortunate that it hasn't been spotlighted yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a fix for this?  It's driving me crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

following this thread since i also have this issue and waiting on resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested in the 2020.2.0 mersion released yesterday. As expected (bug fixes did not mention this one), I see no improvement from the change to "Line Spacing" from 2019.1.3. That did improve the problem shown in the  screen in the original post of this thread.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can we please FIX THIS!?!!!!!!!!!! I've never had such difficulty with LETTERS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, it seems there still isn't a workaround, but I have found a font that miraculously centers the text, for some reason. The font is called Microsoft Yahei, and it's an okay looking, pretty standard font. Still annoying you can't choose your own font but I think this works well enough. DJI_0338.00_01_53_13.Still001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that information.

This is an older thread, and the correct answer is not current. Be sure to see the update in this post earlier in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/open-captions-text-not-centre-aligned-with-background/m-...

This font does center the text vertically in the background box. But when adding any edge, even "1," it goes back to the bottom of the box. It is improved by setting Line Spacing to 100 (instead of the default 50).  

I wonder what the difference in this font is that it centers!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you only need burned-in captions, I suggest you to google for SRT-importer scripts for After Effects. In After Effects you have all the stlying possibilities you want. Works like a charm for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines