Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Captions timings change every time we reopen Premiere

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Me and my team have been working with open captions for a few years now. We create a lot of videos which need embedded subtitles and open captions are great because we can change the style and font to match client's brand style. We used to create titles, but changing the style on all of them one by one was a nightmare and open captions solved that problem.

However, nothing is perfect and we find that the timings on our open caption track keep changing every time we open premiere. This is very frustrating because we like to have them disappear when we cut to another clip, otherwise it creates a jarring effect. So, we spend quite a lot of time adjusting them to the cuts, only to have to redo all work next time we open Premiere.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 12.29.35.png

We, sometimes, opt for a solution which is making each caption longer than what we need and make an edit on the caption track like below. Of course this is not ideal and makes a very messy timeline.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 12.38.43.png

I wish this problem is fixed. It seems a minor thing but if I'd tell you how many times we had to reexport videos because of jerky subtitles. Perhaps, it would help if the caption handle snap frame by frame or magnetically to edits in the timeline.

Is anyone else facing this issue. What's your workaround?

Thanks,

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I just wasted a lot of time with Premiere Pro. The caption times kept readjusting by themselves, again and again. And when I put them into the timeline, they did not appear. Scrapped the whole thing. But better luck to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 after updated to the latest version, this problem happen to me too!

It looks like everytime we reopen, it change to 25fps (our srt file and timeline is based on 23.976fps).

ADOBE PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version did you update to? (This is an old thread.) 14.6.0?

Please post screenshots: the Capton Panel, the Project Panel with the srt selected), and the timeline.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact problem as well. Really bizarre and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to add captions to my own video and the times keep changing themselves. This always happens when I try to speed something up or slow something down as well if I set the value to 0 by accident, and then it won't change to the value I want it to be. It's starting to get on my nerves and the whole reason I rarely use premiere 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread from a PR version before the current workflow.

What version of PR are you using?

Please post a screenshot showing an example of what you mean.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately i can't get a screenshot right now but I'm using v 14.0 (I've had trouble updating it in the past so I never bothered before but I might now) - I can explain the problem though.

For instance, working with the captions, I tried to change the end/start time of two separate captions to 00:00:24:49 but as soon as I hit the enter key it would automatically revert to 00:00:25:05

I'll try updating it and see if that changes anything now but if it doesn't, advice is welcome. I'll find other methods to making captions if I can't figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you upgrade, DO NOT uninstall your current version. You may be unable to reinstall it.

And first, see if you can sort the problem you are seeing.

PR 2020 (version 14) was the last with the "old" caption workflow. And you could change the start/end timecode in the Caption panel (you can't now).

I assume this is what you are seeing: Assume Caption 1 ends at 14;00 and Caption 2 begins at 14;00 (which is, ironically, possible). Change Caption 1 end to 14;01.  You can't; upon hitting enter, it reverts to 14;00. If it allowed the change, the captions would overlap, and they can't.

So change Caption 2 start to 14;01.  It allows this, and there is now a one frame gap between Caption 1 and Caption 2 in the timeline. (You must be zoomed in to see it.) And now change Caption 1 end to 14;01. It is allowed, and the gap closes.

I don't know what effect the speed changes are making, but it should not really affect this method.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured that out long before the problem at hand popped up, unfortunately, so I'm still unsure of what caused it. The updated version, however, works just fine, so my problem is fixed regarding captions. Thank you for the help though 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope you like the new version! Speech to text is great.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines