Open Captions timings change every time we reopen Premiere

May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Me and my team have been working with open captions for a few years now. We create a lot of videos which need embedded subtitles and open captions are great because we can change the style and font to match client's brand style. We used to create titles, but changing the style on all of them one by one was a nightmare and open captions solved that problem.

However, nothing is perfect and we find that the timings on our open caption track keep changing every time we open premiere. This is very frustrating because we like to have them disappear when we cut to another clip, otherwise it creates a jarring effect. So, we spend quite a lot of time adjusting them to the cuts, only to have to redo all work next time we open Premiere.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 12.29.35.png

We, sometimes, opt for a solution which is making each caption longer than what we need and make an edit on the caption track like below. Of course this is not ideal and makes a very messy timeline.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 12.38.43.png

I wish this problem is fixed. It seems a minor thing but if I'd tell you how many times we had to reexport videos because of jerky subtitles. Perhaps, it would help if the caption handle snap frame by frame or magnetically to edits in the timeline.

Is anyone else facing this issue. What's your workaround?

Thanks,

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Open Captions timings change every time we reopen Premiere

May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Me and my team have been working with open captions for a few years now. We create a lot of videos which need embedded subtitles and open captions are great because we can change the style and font to match client's brand style. We used to create titles, but changing the style on all of them one by one was a nightmare and open captions solved that problem.

However, nothing is perfect and we find that the timings on our open caption track keep changing every time we open premiere. This is very frustrating because we like to have them disappear when we cut to another clip, otherwise it creates a jarring effect. So, we spend quite a lot of time adjusting them to the cuts, only to have to redo all work next time we open Premiere.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 12.29.35.png

We, sometimes, opt for a solution which is making each caption longer than what we need and make an edit on the caption track like below. Of course this is not ideal and makes a very messy timeline.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 12.38.43.png

I wish this problem is fixed. It seems a minor thing but if I'd tell you how many times we had to reexport videos because of jerky subtitles. Perhaps, it would help if the caption handle snap frame by frame or magnetically to edits in the timeline.

Is anyone else facing this issue. What's your workaround?

Thanks,

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 24, 2018 1
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I just wasted a lot of time with Premiere Pro. The caption times kept readjusting by themselves, again and again. And when I put them into the timeline, they did not appear. Scrapped the whole thing. But better luck to you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2020 1
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 after updated to the latest version, this problem happen to me too!

It looks like everytime we reopen, it change to 25fps (our srt file and timeline is based on 23.976fps).

ADOBE PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2020 0
Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version did you update to? (This is an old thread.) 14.6.0?

Please post screenshots: the Capton Panel, the Project Panel with the srt selected), and the timeline.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 05, 2020 0
Shae S. LATEST
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact problem as well. Really bizarre and frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0