Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenCL rendering engine available but not CUDA

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dear friends.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2019 on my Windows 10 laptop (ASUS N501jw) which has Nvidia GeForce 960M graphics on board. When I create a project, The rendering engine is chosen as Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL). I'm wondering shouldn't it be CUDA? Is my gpu being used in right way?

rendering engine.jpg

Thanks for you kind help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers

Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter

•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

ALSO... I don't have any links handy, but I **think** I've read that the most recent Premiere Pro has dropped CUDA support for some older nVidia cards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tested the latest nvidia drivers. it has some bugs on 960M and causes BSOD. So I'm using an older driver released about 3 months ago.

I searched a bit but didn't find anu news about not supporting CUDA in new version. I'm just not sure if I should see OpenCL there or CUDA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first guess is that PP is using the Intel GPU, not the nVidia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any idea how to check it? and how I can fix it?

I have put Premiere Pro on nvidia gpu in GeForce control panel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ramin,

I haven't discovered any BUG with the latest NVidia drivers. So, try updating it to the latest one. Check the below blog for the same

general GPU blog post

Download Drivers | NVIDIA

If you still can't see CUDA then go to your Documents folder>Adobe>Premiere Pro>13.0 and rename this folder to old_13.0

Make sure Premiere Pro is closed.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm only going by watching the CPU report in windows - but yes, rendering is done by the CPU for the most part.

Adobe ADVERTISES - that their mercury engine uses the GPU - but that's for things like color correction on the timeline - so when your timeline bar goes YELLOW - it might be using the GPU to render your previews; or it might not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines