• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optical Flow not working correctly - doesn't make "render bar" red and video still choppy

Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off: I'm using Premiere Pro on a very basic level, so, I do not know what everything is called and I'm sorry about that.

I've been using Premiere for a few years now and have never had a problem with it, but recently, my Optical Flow hasn't been working. It didn't work for the last month on my previous computer, and it still doesn't work on my new computer (and I'm using two separate Creative Cloud accounts for each computer). When I change the speed to lower than 100% and change "Frame Sampling" to "Optical Flow", usually, the yellow bar above the clip would turn red and you would render it to make Optical Flow work. But now, it doesn't turn red anymore and rendering does nothing. Does anybody know how to solve this issue? I would really appreciate it!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Hitting the 'enter' key doesn't necessarily trigger a render-preview process anymore. You may need to select a clip or section of a sequence, render in to out ... to get any changes done. Also, check the preview format/codec for your sequences.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitting the 'enter' key doesn't necessarily trigger a render-preview process anymore. You may need to select a clip or section of a sequence, render in to out ... to get any changes done. Also, check the preview format/codec for your sequences.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render In to Out solved it! I had been so used to hitting the Enter key and had tried Render Effects In to Out, but hadn't thought of the regular rendering. Thank you so much, Neil, I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Premiere since 5.5 so, a while. I'm used to effects like Optical Flow NOT needing to be rendered to see them. I believe that's the whole point of having a gpu like the RTX 2080 TI in my system. The latest updates seem to have broken this ability to see Optical flow without rendering. Any thoughts Neil?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several things ... each version of this app is a bit more complex and hardware-dependent than the previous one, so it may have simply gotten a bit difficult for your system.

Also ... there's been some buggy GPU drivers out there, especially on the Nvidia side the game-ready drivers are a freaking mess. But even a couple AMD drivers have had some issues.

And they've also changed the 'natural' processes, so it may simply not be applying optical flow without rendering now.

As I'm not a staffer, though, these are all "best guesses" that may or may not be applicable.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not more difficult for my system. If anything I have more than enough horsepower. I have a new build from Puget with 18 cores, 128GB ram, multiple NVME drives, a fast external raid, RTX 2080 ti w/11GB video ram (using studio drivers). I'm currently editing 6.5k BM-Raw film with no troubles at full quality.

I totally hear you on each version becoming more complex. After using Premier 18 years, I can definitely attest to that. So with that out of the way, it seems odd they would choose to not let us playback optical flow without having to render it.

I'll contact Adobe directly and see what they say.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, mine's like that but with the 24 core option. So far, I'm liking this computer build ... and yea, see if you can get an answer!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha! Yea in the past year they've updated their cpu offerings. I went with Intel 18-core for price vs performance, and because I wanted Thunderbolt 3 🙂

Also you might enjoy this graph I made comparing the equivalent Appel Mac Pro and another PC vendor. I took the tests The Verge (www.theverge.com) did and ran them on my machine and as I expected, price per FPS was over twice as expensive on the Mac. HOWEVER, I am very very interested in their new Mac Pro's with the M1X or whatever it'll be called later this year or next...I sure do miss Mac Os. I've had nothing but trouble with Windows. I used to be a PC person prior to switching to Mac in 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue, but selecting an in/out range or the clip itself doesn't affect what happens when I press render in/out og render effects. Nothing renders, the red bar that used to appear over the clip simply doesn't. Any other ideas out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Time remapping or speed change might be GPU accelerated, hence no red bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines