Optimizing my current setup (PC and workflow)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are my computer specs: 

Windows 10
Intel Core i7 (7th Gen) 7700K / 4.2 GHz 4200MHz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors RAM 16GB
480GB SSD (what I use to put all my video editing stuff in)
2TB HHD (Pretty sure I don't use this at all for video editing, this is just for storage)
(For a more in-depth view of my specs, here's a link to my exact computer: https://www.cnet.com/products/corsair-one-pro-compact-pc-core-i7-7700k-4-2-ghz-16-gb-ssd-480-gb-hdd-...)

I'm pretty sure my rig is better than what most people have but I'd still like to make it even better.
Most notably, the thing I'm trying to fix is the speed of my coloring adjustments. Whenever I use a mask on a clip and color edit that mask, it takes around ~30 seconds for my color effect to kick in. I'm pretty sure it's because it's applying my color edit to every key frame of my mask, so it's understandable, but I'd like to lower this time as much as possible.

My Workflow
I work with a mix of 4k/1080p footage.
I always use proxies (besides this, not sure what else I can do to help make my PC run premiere faster).
Program Monitor to 1/2 - 1/4 resolution for editing

What I was thinking about doing
From what I've researched, the easy fixes to my computer are installing better RAM and adding an extra SSD drive (so I can put all my media on that hard drive and have premiere on my main SSD drive) but wanted more opinions before I commit. I want to upgrade the CPU as well but as I've never built my own computer and my Corsair One is assembled differently than traditional PCs, I'd rather not go that route to be safe (it'd also void my warranty on my PC as well).

Any advice is appreciated.

TOPICS
Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Optimizing my current setup (PC and workflow)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are my computer specs: 

Windows 10
Intel Core i7 (7th Gen) 7700K / 4.2 GHz 4200MHz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors RAM 16GB
480GB SSD (what I use to put all my video editing stuff in)
2TB HHD (Pretty sure I don't use this at all for video editing, this is just for storage)
(For a more in-depth view of my specs, here's a link to my exact computer: https://www.cnet.com/products/corsair-one-pro-compact-pc-core-i7-7700k-4-2-ghz-16-gb-ssd-480-gb-hdd-...)

I'm pretty sure my rig is better than what most people have but I'd still like to make it even better.
Most notably, the thing I'm trying to fix is the speed of my coloring adjustments. Whenever I use a mask on a clip and color edit that mask, it takes around ~30 seconds for my color effect to kick in. I'm pretty sure it's because it's applying my color edit to every key frame of my mask, so it's understandable, but I'd like to lower this time as much as possible.

My Workflow
I work with a mix of 4k/1080p footage.
I always use proxies (besides this, not sure what else I can do to help make my PC run premiere faster).
Program Monitor to 1/2 - 1/4 resolution for editing

What I was thinking about doing
From what I've researched, the easy fixes to my computer are installing better RAM and adding an extra SSD drive (so I can put all my media on that hard drive and have premiere on my main SSD drive) but wanted more opinions before I commit. I want to upgrade the CPU as well but as I've never built my own computer and my Corsair One is assembled differently than traditional PCs, I'd rather not go that route to be safe (it'd also void my warranty on my PC as well).

Any advice is appreciated.

TOPICS
Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 23, 2020 0
Ann Bens LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bare minimum is 2 drives.

Main SSD for OS and program, the rest on a dedicated SSD drive.

Editing 4K might benefit from having 64 gig RAM.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0