• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organizing clips from footage

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, beginner video editor here trying to get acclimated with Premiere Pro.

I am creating a video of certain effects from a television show (eg. the way TV SHOW X uses the colour orange). As I scrub through the footage and find relevant clips, I am wondering how to organize the selected clips into a separate bin WITHOUT modifying the source footage. Ideally, I'd like to mark, drag and drop the relevant clips into it's own folder for use on future projects.

Hoping this makes sense... any help is appreciated.

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll list a couple ways you can approach this and I'm sure there are others.

1. Create a timeline that just has your "selects" on it, all your trimmed media. In the future you can simply use Media Browser to import that sequence into another project. It will import all the referenced media along with the sequence with your trimmed clips.

2. Make subclips when you have your in/out points selected. You can make the subclips from the Project Panel, The Timeline, or the Source Monitor. You can keep those subclips organized in a bin. I personally don't use Subclips very often at all so I can't really speak to how it would behave to try to import these into another project, but I'm assuming it would work - it might also import the rest of the clip that it was referencing.

3. Render & Replace. If you want the option to get rid of the rest of the footage that you're not using, or if you simply want your selected clips to exist on your hard drive that you can import as video into new projects independent of the original, longer source material. You can create a timeline like in Step 1, then Select All, Render and Replace, and go through the settings to export your media out with handles (if you want). 

I'd probably just do the first one, personally, but it depends on the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Welcome to Premiere! Happy to have you.

PhillipJoseph is right, subclips are the way to go! When scrubbing through footage in the Source Monitor, you can mark In (I on your keyboard) and Out (O) to create your selection. Drag that selection into a bin and the Project panel will treat it like it's its own clip!

I like this tutorial that explains it. It covers subclips in the first 3 minutes but there are useful tips at the end of the video too!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines