Out of sync indicators get removed when moving the relinked audio/video

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've recently started using the Sennheiser AVX lapel systems and they have about a 17ms audio delay (which equates to 800Hz). Anyway, when I bring footage into the timeline in Premiere, I unlink the video from its audio, enable Show Audio Time Units, select the unlinked audio file, type -800 and hit enter to move it back 800Hz in the timeline and then relink the video and audio together so now the subject's audio and visual are synced up. This creates out of sync indicators (the red boxes) which seems normal.

(I've also included in this screenshot a reference audio track with no delay to show how the waveforms are now synced up).

synced.png

BUT the issue is, if I move the linked audio/video clip anywhere in the timeline by dragging it around or moving it by one frame, the clip seems to get reset to being in sync TO THE FRAME, not to the 'audio frame' sync point. So as soon as I move it, the clip ends get brought back to being in line with each other and now my audio doesn't have the 17ms correction.

desynced.png

You can see here how the audio on A2 is behind A1's audio slightly (how it started) and there is no longer the L cut at the beginning or end of the clips.

Even if I trim the start and end of the clips in that first screenshot to make it all even, and then move the link clip around, the audio tracks still get desynced.

I do understand the issue that bringing in a clip that is default synced to the frame (like most are) and placing it next to this unusual type of synced clip (to the 'audio frame') and how there would be a very slight blank bit in the video or audio track, but surely there's a way around this or something that can be done to allow me to keep the 17ms correction while still being able to reorder the clips later on if need be.

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the sync changing or is the indicator just re-setting?

Unless you're mixing audio from other tracks, 10ms out of sync is not going to be visible

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I know it's not that noticeable if using the same source of audio but mixing it with any non delayed sample of audio (like another onboard mic), you notice an echo.

Regardless, I can't do anything about it because of this bug in Premiere that doesn't let you move anything around.

And yes the sync is changing. It will go from being in sync with the proper 800Hz offset to just moving back to where it started (as though I hadn't done any offsetting).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Wondering if you found a way to fix this finally? Many thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about a year old. The only way I could get it to happen was to put the clip involved in a nest and do the off-sync (or in-sync) in the nest, and then it stays synced that way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the answer. We finally fixed the problem by importing the audio into Audition and exporting it, but will try the nesting solution too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines