• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PC Ryzen 5, 32gb ram, 1060 6gb runs Adobe programs extremely slow, HELP please

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I'm a regular Mac user and until recently have used a specced 2014 Macbook Pro as my main computer since I am usually working on the road. I thought I would try a PC and ended up getting a desktop computer with a Ryzen 5 3400g, 32gb ram, Nvidia 1060 6gb, and some SSDs.  I know this is by no means a monster computer, but it out ranks my maxed 2014 Macbook massively. Yet when I use Premiere, Lightroom, or other Adobe programs it performs about half as well as my old macbook laptop. I have scoured here and other forums changing settings and testing, but still find the experience obnoxious. I feel like I'm missing something obvious as to why it performs so miserably(sluggish loading/lagging). Please refrain from just telling me to buy a new Mac that will happen regardless as I prefer the platform and use Logic Pro for music, but any chance someone knows some ideas I should/could try? I have used adobe since beginning my professional career and consider myself quite versed in there suite and it's capabilities.

ps..If I can figure it out I will upgrade the processor and graphics card, if not I will just use it to occasionally game. 

Thanks for the help in advance. 🙂

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add the drives have more than 20% free and my problem is general performance from opening Adobe programs to simple editing and heavy editing is a nightmare. Also this is my first post hope I included enough info! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SSD don't "like" being filled up by data, they slow down significantly in that case. Try to free up at least 50%.  Make sure that your display is connected to 1060 and not to iGPU. Otherwise 1060 will be considered secondary and won't be used. Turn off all unnecessary background apps, like steam, discord, etc. Turn off g-sync in nvidia control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had gsync on, that did help quite a bit. Still find it sluggish when brushing photos in lightroom, and scrubbing filters. Need to try Premiere tomorrow. Thank you for the tip! Some of the ssds are about half full and those projects have felt the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kjm87775786 Have you find a source of the problem? If not, try to turn off hardware accelerated decoding in preferences, worked for some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Part of the problem is your choice of a CPU:

That Ryzen 5 3400G is not a true Ryzen 3000-series CPU at all. Instead, its architecture is the same as the previous-gen Ryzen 2000-series CPU (Zen+ rather than Zen2).

Second, despite being branded Ryzen 5, it has only 4 physical CPU cores (but 8 threads).

Third, it has only eight PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU. Other CPUs have 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU.

Put them all together, and that system actually performs slower than an otherwise- identical PC with a 6th-Gen Intel Core i7 CPU such as an i7-6700K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines