• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PEK files in Avid

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a project where the footage was pulled from a Sony FS5 and first run through a colleague's PP, which produced two files: MXF for video and PEK for audio.  However, I'm bringing all this into Avid MC and it seems Avid doesn't read the PEK files.  Since then I believe the original files have been overwritten.  So the question is: what is the best method to bring these 2-as-1 files into MC?  Thank you, DC 

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

I have no idea. Best is to ask on a AVID forum.

Pek files are Adobe specific and dont contain audio but audio waveform data. They are temp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

I've just done along-winded repatch, still happy we made it.  Thank you for your help, D. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PEK files contain visual waveform data used for displaying audio waveform previews on the audio track timeline.

They are specific used in Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great, though I am looking for a soultion as outlined.  Any advice? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never heard of audio files being overwritten to .pek files.

Dont the mxf files contain audio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overwrite as in the camera itself has recorded new footage and the originasl files lost. But still, how to take what I have and bring it into Avid, as at the moment Avid will not play the audio? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea. Best is to ask on a AVID forum.

Pek files are Adobe specific and dont contain audio but audio waveform data. They are temp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Ann said, PEK files are temporary files only. They only describe what the audio waveform looks like, they don't contain any audio information, so they are not necessary for use with AVID, or even PPro. If they exist, PPro will simply reference these files for waveform representation, if they don't exist they will be recreated automatically. Therefore, you don't need them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that'sfair enough.  Then the question still is: whatever came out of the FS5 was transcoded into PP, and the resultant MXF file will not play its audio portion when brought into Avid.  Is there a way to resolve this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload a transcoded mxf file to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I have a 166MB file with "...testing 1, 2, 3..." on it.  Nothing smaller.... what to do ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried uploading and this forum doesn't upload MXF filkes.  Please forgive my frustration, but I haven't yet found this forum to be helpful on this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may look unhelpful to you as there is probably no answer to your issue which is with avid

Also, you don't have the original files anymore.

Try Dropbox; please upload a file with the issue from the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, and good point.  Here's the Dropbox link (I think it needs downloading as cannot be played with Dropbox), https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufx5lswvs6vusom/Clip0004.MXF?dl=0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded it. There is audio on this clip, on channel 2.

If you want to be able to listen to it, you should have at least channel 1 and 2 armed inside PPro. How this works in Media Composer? No idea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting.  Ok, thank you.  DC 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, found the audio, thank you.  So I've brought the timeline over from PP using export>AAF.  After relinking the media, MC has it all, but this requires a repatch of audio without needing at all to rebuild the fundamentals between timeline and media.  Head scratcher.audio repatch needed.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not try Export > Final Cut XML. This is usually a format most other NLEs are able to handle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've just done along-winded repatch, still happy we made it.  Thank you for your help, D. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines