• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance Issues with Premiere Pro 2020 (CC), advice?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

For the last several months, I've been noticing a slow dropoff in editing performance while working on videos within Premiere Pro. It appears to occur even with simple transistions at this point such as cross dissolve on a single video track. Video will stop being displayed, audio will continue, and there will even be input lag (space bar) when I try and stop playback.  If I switch from Premiere to another application I also experience audio loss for about 5 seconds (sometimes). Video files are usually under an hour in duration as mp4 files that have been converted from variable frame rates to a constant frame rate using HandBrake to sink audio from seperate files properly. Audio is also separately combined in Premiere from WAV files output from Audition at 96000 Hz (32-bit floating).

I have the playback res set to 1/4 quality and I am working with 4k video usually at 30fps.

I tried clearing my media cache in the preferences already. Memory settings say I have 56 Gigs available for Premiere. I don't have other background tasks extensively using system resources. 

System Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-7700 4.2 Ghz

Board: ASISTek STRIX Z270F

Ram: 64 Gigs

GPU (Primary for Displays): GeForce TRX 2080 (Latest Studio Drivers)

GPU (Secondary for CUDA): TITAN Xp (Latest Studio Drivers)

Displays x2 : 3840 x 2160 

Primary (install and scratch) HD: 1 Tb with ~500Gb free at any point

There are no system compatibility issues reported through the Help menu.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for things to look into or ways of getting back some of the performance I seem to be missing, thank you.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might condider trying Proxies. They work great and are pretty easy to create. Sooner or later your h.264 footage will overwhelm any machine. Speaking of which... is that really an "HD" ie: spinning hard drive? If so, that is a major bottleneck. Pretty much everyone has moved to SSD's or M2 drives. I use two of the later, and actually backup to an SSD.

Also, your video cards are an imbalance point. Too much video card for the rest of your system. You might try taking one out. 

As to your Windows... mine has been installed for 3.5 years now - and this from a clean install. Not an upgrade from Win7. In the last couple of months I've gotten the impression I need a clean install again. 4 years is about the max point I've gone without re-doing my Windows/Boot drive. So, I see things slowing down. However, with Proxies, PP hums along pretty well for the vast majority of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'll look into proxies.

Sorry, HD for harddrive, it is an SSD. Should have mentioned that.

Not sure about the GPU being an imbalance. They are not setup in a dual manner or bridged, etc. The Titan is not utitlized by the system unless specifically designated in applications and Windows shows 0% utilization of the resource during usual usage.

It only becomes active when I set programs to specifically use it when using CUDA for various reaons (lightbaking in Unity, Neural Networks, etc...) I had a similar GPU setup with the Titan as the primary and a 1080 as a backup secondary and I encounterd no issue until the 2080 became available and my kids wanted to try out ray-traced minecraft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and one other thing if you don't mind me asking. 

Would you have a recommendation on what format I should encode my 4K footage and leave it in while editing? Since H.264 is such as resouce hog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, make sure you don't have too many resources hogging CPU cycles...

I've been using Cineform proxies at 720p, they look fantastic. I had to put small time-code window on them to see quickly if the proxies we being used. I started using them before ProRes was available on PCs so I might create a set of presets in ProRes to try in an upcoming project. Remember, no h.264 in proxies, despite what a few tutorials you may find out there use.

This thread has some Task manager info and a shot of it when creating proxies.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/pp-2019-making-proxies-runs-well-wtask-manager/td-p/1041...

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/proxy-media.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993mbUa0h-w&feature=youtu.be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines