• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance issues with Premiere Pro on powerful PC

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a freelance video editor who edits very time-sensitive videos on a daily basis.  Because of this, I needed a PC that would edit whatever I threw at it without issue.  This is why I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3950x processor, 48 GB of ram, a 2080 super graphics card, and an NVME SSD that I import and export video files from.

And yet, despite this, my 5-year-old laptop with an Intel processor and a GTX 960 graphics card is able to edit better.  When editing on the new PC, there is a significant delay between when I press the space bar to play the video and when it actually starts playing, and it's even worse for pausing.  This slows me down significantly, and as I said, the videos I edit are very time-sensitive.

This happens even at 1/4 resolution when the laptop edits more efficiently at 1/2.  I'm aware that pre-rendering the timeline or creating proxy files is a way to get around this, but the footage I'm editing from is an hour and a half to two hours in length, and even low-quality proxies take 30-40 minutes to render it.  Again, time-sensitive video.  I've put way too much time and effort into building this PC for it to not do even basic editing on 720p footage properly.

I read the other forum where a user had a similar issue, and yes, the video files are encoded in H.264, and I understand that the AMD processor doesn't support Intel Quick Sync, but it's a 16-core processor, and Premiere barely even pushes it past 2% use.  There has to be something that can be done about it without having to replace the entire processor and motherboard.

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things to check

1) Do you have VFR footage on a timeline? Use MediInfo tool to check. It's highly recommended to transcode such clips to CFR before editing. Tools ppl use for this: Handbrake, Avidemux, ffmpeg, nvencc, or build-in Windows editor

2) Try to turn off Hardware accelerated decoding in Preferences > Media...  It's recommended to clean media cache each time you change that settings,  or after any app update. Close PP and manually clean media cache (goto  %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common  and clean/delete folders Media Cache, Media Cache Files, PTX, Peak Files)

3) Make sure that NVidia G-Sync is off in driver control panel

4) Make sure you are using NVidia 'Studio' driver and not 'Game ready' one

5) Try to reset workspace: Window > Workspaces > Reset to saved layout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  Turning off hardware accelerated decoding and clearing the cache did the trick.  You're a lifesaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use software only encoding but you are not taking advantage of your hardware. I would try a BIOS update and a driver update. That being said I am also going to recommend you contact AMD. This seems to happen all the time with AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs. Maybe there is a chipset patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

U is duh best. i was kinda scared there for a second.  Premire is usually awesome but lately it had been acting really bad. Ur a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines