Highlighted

Performance Problems Despite Powerful System

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to PC and I'm having performance issues on Premiere Pro (Up to date). My new build has a 16 Core Ryzen 3950x Processor, 32gb of Ram and a 2080Ti Graphics card. My footage is stored on an SSD drive. Despite all this, playing back a 1080p 50fps file is lagging badly. The problem seemed to 'solve' itslef if I use proxies however I used to edit without proxies on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15 which had no where near the power of this build. I have updated all necessary drivers and have also switched on hardware acceleration as advised by many. All of this solved absolutely nothing which is why I'm posting my query here to hopefully get an answer. It seems that Premiere Pro isn't utilising my GPU because the GPU usage is only at 4% while editing and playing back footage

Any help?

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Performance Problems Despite Powerful System

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to PC and I'm having performance issues on Premiere Pro (Up to date). My new build has a 16 Core Ryzen 3950x Processor, 32gb of Ram and a 2080Ti Graphics card. My footage is stored on an SSD drive. Despite all this, playing back a 1080p 50fps file is lagging badly. The problem seemed to 'solve' itslef if I use proxies however I used to edit without proxies on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15 which had no where near the power of this build. I have updated all necessary drivers and have also switched on hardware acceleration as advised by many. All of this solved absolutely nothing which is why I'm posting my query here to hopefully get an answer. It seems that Premiere Pro isn't utilising my GPU because the GPU usage is only at 4% while editing and playing back footage

Any help?

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

defaultX,

The problem is, I think, your AMD processor. It is not the ideal one to use with H.264 footage as Quick Sync is unavailable for decoding the footage. So, it won't playback very well unless you transcode the footage to a different codec, like ProRes. The MacBook Pro has an Intel Processor with Quick Sync, so its performance is a lot better. 

You may want to check out the beta version as decoding can occur on the GPU with the newer version. AMD users should see a boost in performance because of that.

There is much confusion on that the GPU can and cannot do, and that is the case here. One of the things it cannot do is accelerate decoding for H.264 footage. It is chiefly used for playback of footage with GPU accelerated effects applied. If no effects are applied, then the GPU doesn't get used much. Sorry for the confusion and the let down. It's quite common misunderstanding, actually.

Let me know if this response helped you understand what's going on here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, Intel CPUs with newer drivers can now no longer utilize QuickSync with a discrete GPU installed. After driver version 27.20.100.8476, Intel's new iGPU drivers will now require that QuickSync be utilized for both decoding and encoding, and that the integrated GPU must be the only GPU in the PC. If any discrete GPU is installed, then QuickSync will be completely disabled for both decoding and encoding even if the integrated GPU is force-enabled.

So, switching to Intel will no longer do the discussion starter any good unless he somehow manages to install an old driver.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you explored using a proxy workflow?  can be a little tough to figure it out initially, but once you've done it, it's rocksolid...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro can be a pain in the buttocks. That being said your system should play it back. Do you have CUDA enabled? The AMD motherboard might need a BIOS upadate or chipset drivers intalled. Depending on the audio hardware some systems need ASIO drivers for smooth playback.  The video below may or may not be helpful.

https://youtu.be/Q-fpynuJCwQ

This video tutorial show the best setting for Premiere Pro on Mac and PC including CUDA, Open CL., Quick Sync and ASIO.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0