• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop files in bin are linked but show as offline on timeline.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created a project about a year ago with PPro 2015.

The project primarily consisted of many layered PSD files imported so the each layer shows as an individual item in the project bin.

The completed project was moved to an offline archive disk, keeping the original folder structure.

Recently, I moved the project file to the workstation and opened it with PPro 2017.1.2  – 11.1.2 (22) Build

Linked one file as usual and the remaining links updated as expected.

Looking at the timeline, the one .mov and .aiff displayed/played correctly, but all the PSD layer files showed as "Offline".

Inspecting the PSD layer files in the bin, they show as online, with the correct path, no option to "Link" and choosing "Reveal in Finder" selects the correct source file.

I tried taking a layer file offline and relinking, but that did not affect the timeline.

If I double click the PSD layer file it shows correctly in the preview window.

Finally, I chose a clip on the timeline and selected, "Reveal in Project". The correct file was identified.

With the correct file still selected I chose, "Replace With Clip ... from Bin" and presto, that element now displayed on the timeline.

I did try cleaning the cache from within Premiere and eventually just manually deleting the contents of /Media Cache and /Media Cache Files with no effect. Also, after relinking a few items on the timeline, saved the project, quit Premiere, re-emptied those folders and opened the project, but the linked instances were still working, so the cache files don't seem to play into it.

This seems like a bug, since the project file has all the correct paths, they just aren't updating.

I might not fret too much, but this project has nearly 500 individual items on the timeline that I'll have to manually relink, with no guarantee that I can preserve all that work. A phone call to Adobe Support confirmed that there are no identifiable files I can copy to preserve the timeline links in this project.

Has anyone run into this issue? Maybe there is something advanced (or obvious) that would get around this?

Any ideas appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same issue.  We create a lot of 2D videos using layered photoshop PSD files.  

My work flow:

Import Photoshop file as a nested "sequence" with multiple pphotoshop layers

Everything works fine and links until you make a backup or transfer project to another hard drive.

I even use Carbon Copy/Clone software to duplicate/clone/back up my drives.

Then, when I open Premiere many of the layers show up Red Offline, but when I say, "reveal clip in Project" the .psd layer is there, and even when I say "relink media" it still shows up off-line after re-linking that layer.

The only fix is to delete that layer, and re-import layer, which is a real huge hassle.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new projct and import the old project into it after deleting the Media Cache files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue. I gather no one has a solution other than rebuilding the layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

collect files from project manager before moving anything from one drive to another.

better use local drives when editing until you are totally done with your projects,

then use externals only for backups, and backup using the collect files feature which is 

better than just copying and pasting your projects, especially when you have a lot of files and psds,

and when switching from one workstation to another with a different version of premiere pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, curious if anything ever worked for you or did you have to rebuild? Now it's 2023 and here we are with the same issue. Is the best solution is to create individual png files since Adobe doesn't want to address this long-time problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue in 2023. I now use the workflow that SeguimArnold Prod uses, although I have a few projects I want to fix that were created before I discovered that workflow. 

Unfortunately is seems this issue is a low priority for Adobe. There is a zero reason I can think of why it won't work anywhere, when it clearly did when I was working on the project months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, with a project copied to a hard drive with Project Manager. Solution for me was to option-click each layer used and do 'Reveal in Project' and then 'Replace with Clip->From Bin'. Very very tedious as I have a lot of these, but fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have dozens of layers loaded from psd files, "replace clip from bin" is ridiculous and time consuming. It's now 2024 and Adobe still hasn't resolved it, which is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines