Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixelation of red graphics during export

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I just encountered a strange effect that gives me a lot of headaches in the middle of a deadline. I've never seen this before:

I have a sequence with some graphics, and some of them have red in them. In the preview and in screenshots / single png frames, everything looks perfect, but when rendering, the exported clip has this strange pixelation at the red areas (see screenshot below: left is a single frame exported / right is screenshot from the exported sequence).

This happens when exporting in different compressed filetypes such as mp4, wmv etc. However it does NOT happen when exporting a large quicktime file. But when I recode it in Media Encoder, the problem returns.

I have documented this on two different workstations both running CC 2017.

the logo files are pngs, but the effect still happens when I save them as jpgs and place them into the sequence. Size of the logo does not matter, the only way to keep away the pixelation is if I use some other color than this red.

What kind of witchcraft is this? Can you help me? Thanks!

Dropbox - zzz_frame_red_pixelation.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your export settings.  Do they match the sequence settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they do! And everything else is pixel perfect and fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

What are the export settings?

Is that red section part of the letter itself, or a fill added separately?

What are the dimensions of the logo?  Is it being used at 100% in the sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My standard export for this sequence would be H.264, 1920x1080 (1,0), 29,97 fps, Progressive, VBR 1 Pass, Target 10,00 Mbps, Max 12 Mbps... I also tried different settings (incl. maximum Mbps), it just works when the video is uncompressed (mov).

The red part is part of the .png logo / typo. It's part of the raster logo. The logo is downscaled in the final sequence, but for testing purpose, I exported variations of the logo and placed them at different scales and also 100 %. The same effect occured.

Also we tried it on two different workstations and this must be our 220th video using this same workflow. This has never happened before.

My solution would be simple (and I tried it): change the color of the "red hole". But as it's the customers CI, I guess that is not an option. And I have to find out why this is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sebastiank95713004 wrote:

My standard export for this sequence would be H.264, 1920x1080 (1,0), 29,97 fps, Progressive, VBR 1 Pass, Target 10,00 Mbps, Max 12 Mbps...

I would expect some artifacts, such as what you are reporting, from an export to those settings - but just to verify, do you have the check box for Use Maximum Render Quality checked? It has some impact, particularly when re-sizing is involved.

This has never happened before.

You've used this same logo, in the same way, exported to the same format previously without these artifacts showing?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, how are you viewing the exported file?

If you import the exported file back into Premiere and view it there, do the same artifacts persist?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks.
Yes, the checkbox for Maximum Render Quality is checked.

You've used this same logo, in the same way, exported to the same format previously without these artifacts showing?

no, I used the same sequences, export settings with many other graphics, but this particular logo is the first one that looks this strange.

Also, how are you viewing the exported file?

I've viewed it with vlc, with QT and Windows Media Player.

If you import the exported file back into Premiere and view it there, do the same artifacts persist?

Yes.

I could upload the Premiere Pro Project file, if you'd like. It's only about 150 MBs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, can you upload the .png file for public download?

Earlier you said:

My standard export for this sequence would be H.264, 1920x1080 (1,0), 29,97 fps, Progressive, VBR 1 Pass, Target 10,00 Mbps, Max 12 Mbps...

but in answer to Jim_Simon's question, you said you said the export settings match the sequence settings. Is this correct? Is

H.264, 1920x1080 (1,0), 29,97 fps

your sequence setting?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the checkbox for Maximum Render Quality is checked.

You should uncheck that if you have GPU acceleration turned on.  The factors this setting handle are already handled by the GPU (and often better).

Unfortunately, I don't have any specific ideas about what's causing this.  You might try exporting the Uncompressed version, and transcoding that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your replies.

Is H.264, 1920x1080 (1,0), 29,97 fps your sequence setting?

yes, that's right.

You should uncheck that if you have GPU acceleration turned on. The factors this setting handle are already handled by the GPU (and often better).

Unfortunately, I don't have any specific ideas about what's causing this. You might try exporting the Uncompressed version, and transcoding that.

Yes, I've tried that, but once transcode it, the problem is back. It is very strange.

This is the logo file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypqs8ir1ttxvd9o/johnen_allgemein_4C.png?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not be helpful, but I can't replicate your issue on my system (Mac based).

I downloaded the posted logo, dropped it on the timeline over a white bg and resized it for TV safe, then exported at your settings.

I viewed the resultant exported file in QuickTime X, and compared with the downloaded file in Photoshop and do not see the level of artifact you see:

LogoTest.png

Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! Yes, that's the way it should work and look. It's so strange. We tried it on two Windows HP workstations and see that pixelation problems on both of them (using different sequences / project files for testing and trouble shooting). Maybe someone else can replicate the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, I have the same problem, have you solved it? thanks in adance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, no, this has never been resolved. I was lucky the customer wasn't too picky but I still have nightmares about the next project with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the chroma of that RED sitting on vectorscope and RGB Parades?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz wrote:

Where is the chroma of that RED sitting on vectorscope and RGB Parades?

On the logo I downloaded, it is within safe.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue! It's crazy.

I have a png, which is solid black artwork on a white background. This png is multiplied over 2 colored backgrounds — one blue and one red. The colored backgrounds each wipe in at different moments during the sequence. No matter what format, render max quality, etc. the black artwork is always pixelated when sitting over the red. It looks perfect over the blue. Driving me bonkas.

FYI, I'm using CC2018 and have tried exports using AE and AME. The quality is perfect, regardless on background color, when viewed inside AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... please please let me know how to resolve this issue! Only problem is with reds, everything else looks great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions on this? thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the very same problem with a Red logo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG as well? If yes, try PSD instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your vector scope and see if its not oversaturated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG and PSD yield the same result. If I change the color to white it exports just fine.

this is how it looks after export, notice the aliasing:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-31 um 11.38.46.png

The scopes look fine to me, or am I overlooking something? Red level is 227, so not full red and there is also some blue and green in the logo, so it is not pure red.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-31 um 11.39.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines