Highlighted

pixellation

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some footage that I shot with a GoPro8, it's good quality as far a GoPro can go if I watch it before editing. After exporting (60 fps, 16Mbps target bitrate, H.264 encoding, 4K resolution) I can see pixellation, as in the light sky of attached picture. I have tried increasing the target bitrate, but to no avail. What's the cause and how can I solve the problem?

Topics

Error or problem, Export, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

pixellation

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some footage that I shot with a GoPro8, it's good quality as far a GoPro can go if I watch it before editing. After exporting (60 fps, 16Mbps target bitrate, H.264 encoding, 4K resolution) I can see pixellation, as in the light sky of attached picture. I have tried increasing the target bitrate, but to no avail. What's the cause and how can I solve the problem?

Topics

Error or problem, Export, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embed.jpg

...so we dont have to download unknown files: we help you, you help us. Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's good quality as far a GoPro can go

That is your answer.

Not just the sky but the entire pictuer does not look that great.

Please upload original clip for testing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll share the Google Drive files because YouTube would modify them further.

Original GoPro footage

Export Premiere Pro

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not 4K but 1080p.

change your sequence setting to 1080p

Also original is 50p export is 60p. Might want to correct that.

Please post export settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sequence settings are:
1920 x 1080
00;44;47;09, 100,00 fps
48000 Hz - Stereo

I created the sequence by dragging one clip onto the timeline, it happens to have been 100 fps.

Export settings are as follows:

1920 * 1080 (1,0) - 60 fps

Progressive VBR 2 pass

Target 16 Mbps, Max 40 Mbps

AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo

The footage was shot in 50 and 100 fps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gather the 100 fps clip is for slomo.

I would go for a 50p sequence and export to 50p.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think this is the reason why the pixellation became more evident after exporting?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to do some testing yourself.

If I follow my own advice I see no pixalation although the original footage does not have great image quality.

If you have Protune or what ever turned on in the GoPro turn that off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think this is the reason why the pixellation became more evident after exporting?

That´s not the main reason but mis-matching those settings will give other quality problems. The main reason is too low bit rate combined with the not-so-great H264 encoder that are shipped with Premiere Pro. It can be great sometimes but fails big time in videos like this with water and lot´s of fine details such as lot´s of reed straws that moves. The original footage has a bit rate of approx 40 Mbps, so try to encode with a bitrate closer to that. 16 Mbps as target won´t cut for this kind of footage.

I get great results when i use TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC for Premiere Pro. Download a trial and test for 14 days without any restrictions or watermarks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That plugin looks useful ... hmmm.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines