• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback Issues with Adobe Premiere Pro (13.1)

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to this version and now my old projects will not run playback.

The whole program is incredibly slow and takes roughly 45 seconds to a minute to even load a visual for what clip my header is over in the timeline. Just to reiterate, this was perfectly fine before this update.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Hey there Myer89,

I branched your thread out so we can assist you with your problem more easily. Hope that is OK.

just updated to this version and now my old projects will not run playback.

You might try the basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Delete media cache.
  2. Reset Preferences.

Another fix you can try:

1. Create a new project
  2. Import the previous project into the new project
  3. Reconnect media if necessary

You can also roll back to an earlier version with a previous version's project file:

1. Install the previous ver

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Myer89,

I branched your thread out so we can assist you with your problem more easily. Hope that is OK.

just updated to this version and now my old projects will not run playback.

You might try the basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Delete media cache.
  2. Reset Preferences.

Another fix you can try:

1. Create a new project
  2. Import the previous project into the new project
  3. Reconnect media if necessary

You can also roll back to an earlier version with a previous version's project file:

1. Install the previous version of Premiere Pro.
  2. Note that you will have to roll back with a FCP XML file. For that file, choose: File > Export > FCP XML.
  3. Open this file using the previous version.

Recreating the default contents of the Premiere Pro Documents folder can help. Do so by performing the following steps:

1. Close Premiere Pro
  2. Go to the following location on your computer:
    1. On Windows, choose: C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\
    2. In macOS, choose: Documents > Adobe > Premiere Pro
  3. Rename the 11.0 folder to Old_11.0
  4. Launch Premiere Pro
  5. Open the project

I hope these comments will help you get going again.

Probably not helpful at this point to says the following, but something that may help you in the future:

It's an old editor's rule of thumb to avoid updating the software when you're in the middle of a project, especially if it's a large or somewhat complex one. Stay with the current version until the project is complete.

Sorry if you've not been aware of that one.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

me too ..

I had to roll back to previous premiere pro version .

Running under windows 10 pro

and couldn t wait for my administrator to clean my cache ..

the latest version wasn t playing video (play back)

Hope you ll fix it ...

thank you

best regards

anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This user has not returned in 90 days. Please use my post with its troubleshooting steps and/or the helpful replies of others until the OP returns with any results.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having same issue

I also suspected HDD as system looks idle as if it's waiting for something.

I followed Kevin's tips and it did the trick. Cache and preferences . Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cache cleaning fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah its just an update bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem mid-way through a production. Rolled back to 13.0.3 and it's all good.

Unfortunately lost some edits as I didn't know about the project downgrader...

When will it be fixed Adobe? I like the look of the new features but waste of time upgrading at the moment.

Running on Surface Book 2 with 16GB RAM, GTX 1060

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After nearly 2 years, maybe several users and Adobe dev would be interested that I've found what caused not only playback error and crash, but also general computer slowdown: Realtek audio drivers. Uninstall, reboot. Computer back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myer89,

How are things going now? Let us know.

For others experiencing this issue, please create a separate post with all the details of your case, system, source media, OS, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I took one for the team and updated again to 13.1.1

The latest release has fixed the issue for me, hopefully everyone in this thread can get their Premiere Pro working again now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, but clearing the cache and resetting my preferences did nothing. I have to render EVERYTHING in order to edit, but once I make an edit, I have to render again. It's infuriating. I've tried updating my graphics drivers, but still the playback doesn't work. I had a video that was due today, but since I can't see what I'm doing, I can't finish it. I didn't realize we had an update until after continuing with my edits, so I can't revert back to the last update without losing all of my progress over the last couple weeks. What else can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,  have you tried updating to 13.1.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the version that is causing the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really only has issues with playing .mov files. It had no issues playing these files before the latest update, .mts and .mp4 files play no problem. I get the audio no problem as well, but the video takes about 30 seconds to update when paused and completely freezes when played.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. Because the projects that I am working on were started before the latest update, I had to resave the project with the new updated version of premiere. Once that happened, the .mov files would not play through unless rendered. I was working on an hour long interview, it calculated roughly 3 hours to render.

The fix happened when I simply copied the original files in my windows explorer to a different folder and relocated the files within premiere. Now everything works fine. I wish I had tried that earlier on instead of trying to download codecs, useless software and needlessly updating certain aspects of my computer.

So yeah, if you're having the same issue I had, move your files to a new folder and force premiere to have to relocate them. That's what worked  for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the best, Mike.
I changed the folder name of my files and after Premiere relocated them, playback work well (sorry for my bad english).

Many thanks.

Alain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problems with 13.1 for MP4 or even 4K Prores MOV projects, but very slow for standard MOV files.

After updating to 13.1.1. everything is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I indicate a problem is ANSWERED, to stop notifications on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines