Playback lag

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - have tried "everything" but video playback still lags.

Even making new proxy files the right way (great explanation!) doesn't help so maybe I'm missing out on something there.
Most of the timeline is still yellow, quite a lot red, and much of the playback gives me about 2-3 frames/sec.

• I'm on a 2018 Macbook pro (2,7 Quad i7 with 16 GB ram). Everything is updated.
  • I've created the new set of proxy files as recommended above, using QT with the Apple ProRes 422 Proxy codec and 960x540px 30fps (the size 1/4 of the original 4K 60 fps material).
  • Original material + proxy files placed on a new external usb-c flash drive with plenty of space
  • I've followed all advice I've found regarding tweeked Premiere settings, even (after deleting the first proxy files and created new) that each video clip in the project window is "attached" to its corresponding proxy file. (Also set playback to 1/8 quality, selected the proxy file button in the program window bottom etc)

Still the timeline lo-oo--o---o---ooks and behaves like with the original 4K material. It even requires rendering, over and over again.
Grateful for any hints!
Kjetil

TOPICS
Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Playback lag

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - have tried "everything" but video playback still lags.

Even making new proxy files the right way (great explanation!) doesn't help so maybe I'm missing out on something there.
Most of the timeline is still yellow, quite a lot red, and much of the playback gives me about 2-3 frames/sec.

• I'm on a 2018 Macbook pro (2,7 Quad i7 with 16 GB ram). Everything is updated.
  • I've created the new set of proxy files as recommended above, using QT with the Apple ProRes 422 Proxy codec and 960x540px 30fps (the size 1/4 of the original 4K 60 fps material).
  • Original material + proxy files placed on a new external usb-c flash drive with plenty of space
  • I've followed all advice I've found regarding tweeked Premiere settings, even (after deleting the first proxy files and created new) that each video clip in the project window is "attached" to its corresponding proxy file. (Also set playback to 1/8 quality, selected the proxy file button in the program window bottom etc)

Still the timeline lo-oo--o---o---ooks and behaves like with the original 4K material. It even requires rendering, over and over again.
Grateful for any hints!
Kjetil

TOPICS
Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 08, 2021 0

Have something to add?