Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback stuttering in Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having some troubles with the playback that keeps on lagging whenever I edit anything (any little crop or movement or whatever), with nothing but Premiere Pro running. Sometimes it even lags with the "global FX mute" on !

I tried to change every setting as suggested on internet to improve performances, but I still have the problem. I'm working with a 720p proxy from a 1080p internet video (MP4, 2hrs duration). I had the same problem with an old 90 minutes movie in 360p (mp4).

I recently upgraded my PC with a new CPU, RAM and 1To SSD. I already had this problem with the old components though.

Here's my setup :

- CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

- GPU : GeForce GTX 1070Ti

- RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go (2x16) DDR4, 3200MHz

- All my adobe softwares are installed on the 1To SSD, which is also used to boot Windows.

- Every files I work with are on the same SSD.

- In the "scratch disks" settings I set the Captured Video/Audio and Previews on a 1To HDD. The rest is on the same SSD.

- I have another 4To HDD for everything that isn't about editing, so the main SSD is almost empty.

- Cache and Media Cache files are on another 256Go SSD.

The reason i'm posting this is because I don't know what else I can try, and I also have a problem that makes me think it could be a hardware issue : The GPU is making coil whine noises and sometimes when I'm in games, it freezes for 2 seconds then I'm back to desktop (game is minimized). Could it be related to the playback issue ?

Or maybe I missed a little detail in the settings that changes everything ?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

No, h.264 should not be used to create proxies. They are compressed, and thus take a lot of CPU/GPU power to uncomrpess. I use 720p Cineform proxies, and when I use AE for something I export out a ProRes intermediate to use in PP. So, do recreate the proxies in CineForm or ProRes.

Also, check one oddball thing. In Preference/Audio Hardware, set the default input to No Input, and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU is making coil whine noises

By @chdarro

It may be a bad fan on the GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, so I read on other forums, but some say this is not responsible for any problem, except the annoying noise.

Can you tell if there's any chance of being related to my playback issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or it can mean that GPU-card radiator is stuffed with dust and need cleaning. If so it also means that GPU is likely overheated during that "whine noises" periods. If you decide to do some cleaning, remember that electronics need careful handling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm cleaning my PC every month or two, so I think it's OK.

TBH, I don't remember the first time I heard this noise, but it was long ago, Maybe it always did but I didn't notice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a jumped frames on program Monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Dropped Frame Indicator is yellow most of the time. When I watch a clip with a crop edit for example, even when it's edited long ago, the indicator turns yellow with up to 50 dropped frames every second. If I let it go over the edited clip, it keeps dropping frame permanently (but if the playback starts just after the same edited clip, and shows only raw sequences, there's no dropped frame at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have CUDA acceleration enabled in Project settings .. > General > ..

What is the color of the timeline render bar when you have playback stuttering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CUDA is enabled, and I just tried to disable it, the playback stutters in the exact same way.

The color is yellow almost everywhere.

There are some red parts that correspond to sequences I replaced with After Effects comps, and they act just like yellow parts.

I could (and did) render to make it green and have no lag, but the rendering process is really long and feels useless as soon as I touch it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format are your proxies? Cineform, Prores? If h.264s then recreate in one of those two.

I think you should leave your Previews on the SSD. Have everything on the SSD. When you get another one, move your project files to the second SSD and leave the rest on the default (c:) SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My proxies are h.264 because the two others are from Quicktime, isn't it bad to use it when I'm on Windows 10 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, h.264 should not be used to create proxies. They are compressed, and thus take a lot of CPU/GPU power to uncomrpess. I use 720p Cineform proxies, and when I use AE for something I export out a ProRes intermediate to use in PP. So, do recreate the proxies in CineForm or ProRes.

Also, check one oddball thing. In Preference/Audio Hardware, set the default input to No Input, and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines