• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback Stuttering

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I just purchased a new computer so that I could upgrade from an older one. This one is much better however as soon as I tried editing on premiere pro the playback was lagging. I am not working with any intensive footage, its just stock footage from video games. I have tried rendering the footage and yet that doesn't help. Hopefully there is a solution to this, Thanks.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

I was just messing around in the settings and found that it fixed if I went into audio hardware and set my default input to no input. Thanks for all of the help

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your computer hardware is only one factor when it comes to the playback performance. A very big factor that many newer people don't know about is the type of media that you work with. If you're working with a codec like H264, that can still cause playback issues even on a decent machine.

Are these files that you downloaded to work with? Or did you create them with OBS or some other screen capture software?

It is strange that your render files aren't helping the situation. Another option would be to create a proxy or simply transcode a clip to a better editing codec. You could try Quicktime ProRes 422 LT, import that and see if it does any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded it my self in obs but then I also tried to download some footage as well. The thing that throws me off is that my old computer used to be fine editing the same footage. I took one of my old videos and tried putting that into the timeline and the playback was still choppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest GPU drivers? Is there anything else different about the setup, like drive speed? Where the media is stored? Etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPU/subsystems can be differently enabled, so to speak. As @RjL190365 has noted across many threads, just because a CPU is newer and has more cores or whatnot doe not mean that it works better with the long-GOP H.264/265 type media. Some newer CPUs are worse than some older ones.

So maybe he can pop in and offer ideas. It would be necessary to know your kit though ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM and all.

Confusing and maddening.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my drivers are up to date here are my specs

OS - Windows 10 64 bit

CPU - Intel(R) Coreâ„¢ Processor i7-10700

RAM - 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel

GPU - GeForce(R) RTX 2060 SUPERâ„¢ 8GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just messing around in the settings and found that it fixed if I went into audio hardware and set my default input to no input. Thanks for all of the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a large doc project I'm editing - lots of sequences, lots of assets, multiple editor passing back and forth... anyways, I just had a similar issue where some sequences when I playback at normal speed, seem to be "stuttering" as though it were playing at double speed, but no pitch adjustment. Maybe sounded like every other "frame" of audio was missing? Anyways, totally unable to work this way....

.... long story short, I found this post, went into my audio settings and and changed my default input to "no input" and BOOM, playback is normal. Try it out to fix a similar issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines