• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With using 5k footage, it is a must that I create proxies to get smooth playback?  Or is there another way around without taking down the quality 

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Freeze or hang , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

your not taking down the quality when working with proxies except while you're actually editing...   Or do you understand that?  Not clear from your post.  When you export your timeline when you're using proxies, you always are going back to your camera original footage for your output.  I always use proxies if I'm working with 4k multicam material and it's a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most high end workflows it's very common to use proxies, yes. Even on high end computers. 5K is still quite big as far as a video workflow is concerned. The codec and bitrate, depth, etc. are important factors to performance, but with 5k I'm going to assume that whatever it is, it's going to be taxing to your hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard for anyone to answer without detailed hardware and operating system information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your not taking down the quality when working with proxies except while you're actually editing...   Or do you understand that?  Not clear from your post.  When you export your timeline when you're using proxies, you always are going back to your camera original footage for your output.  I always use proxies if I'm working with 4k multicam material and it's a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - mgrendadier is right. Assuming you're shooting HQ footage, you are holding onto a lot of data that is to be used later in the post-production process; for color grading and VFX, for example. There's no reason to be holding on to all that information during the editorial process. You set it all down (with proxies), get your edit in order, then bring it back when you're actually going to need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some systems can edit 5K. What are your systems specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines