Highlighted

Playhead not stopping immediately when space bar pressed Premiere CC2020

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Can anyone help... I'm using Premiere up to date (14.0.3) and have recently upgraded to a new Macbook Pro: (15-inch, 2019 / 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 / 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 / Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB / Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB) and I'm now having issues with the playhead not stopping immediately when the spacebar is pressed during playback.

My previous macbook didn't have the above issue, but this one does.

The project has JPEGs in the timeline which I'm assuming is causing the issue, which I've tried swapping out for .png versions, but hasn't resolved the issue, nor has unticking the 'composite preview during trim' functionality as a colleague suggested. 

When the space bar is pressed, it takes about 15 frames before the playhead actually stops, which is highly frustrating as you can probably imagine, and is adding to my editing time, as many of the cuts I need to make are timed (I'm creating music educational videos)

Can anyone offer any assistance? I even ordered the Blackmagic GPU to see if that helped, but it didn't, so I sent it back.

Thanks in advance

Gav

TOPICS
Anywhere, Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Playhead not stopping immediately when space bar pressed Premiere CC2020

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Can anyone help... I'm using Premiere up to date (14.0.3) and have recently upgraded to a new Macbook Pro: (15-inch, 2019 / 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 / 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 / Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB / Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB) and I'm now having issues with the playhead not stopping immediately when the spacebar is pressed during playback.

My previous macbook didn't have the above issue, but this one does.

The project has JPEGs in the timeline which I'm assuming is causing the issue, which I've tried swapping out for .png versions, but hasn't resolved the issue, nor has unticking the 'composite preview during trim' functionality as a colleague suggested. 

When the space bar is pressed, it takes about 15 frames before the playhead actually stops, which is highly frustrating as you can probably imagine, and is adding to my editing time, as many of the cuts I need to make are timed (I'm creating music educational videos)

Can anyone offer any assistance? I even ordered the Blackmagic GPU to see if that helped, but it didn't, so I sent it back.

Thanks in advance

Gav

TOPICS
Anywhere, Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 05, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having exactly the same problem since the most recent update. I've posted in here to no avail, and have contacted Adobe support, who in turn took control of my screen to change a few settings, but has actually somehow made things worse. 

It's happening on new projects and old ones. The computer i'm running it on was working just fine a matter of weeks ago. 

Unless it's sorted soon i'm cancelling subscription and heading back to AVID. And taking my students with me. Utterly unworkable at the moment. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 2
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Ross, I can't tell you how much additional time it's adding to my workload. 

I wouldn't mind, but my older, less powerful Macbook worked absolutely fine with no glitches or issues... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue - i thought it was heavy footage at first but even when i am just trying to cut a audio track with no video there is still a few frames lag after the spacebar stop.  every cut must be revisited - so time consuming and frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What codec you use on the source and what on the sequence ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME problem here. H.264 codec out of a sony a7iii. 

Press the spacebar to pause timeline and it continues with video and audio playback. I have to go back to the point manually. 

Laptop is: 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Firmware update for new hardware Adobe? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how it's going to be,  

Premiere Pro doesn't handle long GOP codec well. because you know how it works, the camera doesn't save you all the frames, the editing program creates them later based on some strange data
Davinci Resolve is doing better, but editing on H264 is  not fluid , because the program has to create the missing frames on the fly. 

Do a Prores .proxy  mov. 1280 x720. These files will be bigger but not so much.   this is done automatically !

It takes a one more coffee .. 

You'll be able to edited it without any problems,  next by turning off the proxy, you'll have the material ready right away!

Lisa is writing about Jpeg. If they are heavy, for example, they have a 1200dpi, the premiere will be throwing them into the cache and freezing  the system. You can't make a proxy out of this but you can reduce it to 72dpi and then finally replace it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  Started several months ago, and after three days of frusration I finally uninstalled Premiere and went back to a previous version.  Four months later (now) I tried updating again, hoping Adobe had fixed the issue, but here I am, wasting time, getting ready to uninstall and roll back to a previous version again.  I sure wish Adobe would stop pushing software out before it's ready (not to mention bloating their software beyond functionality).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any info about your system, media, or project, digabyte?

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win10 64bit, Dual Xeon (16 cores), Dual Quadro K4200, 64GB RAM, separate
samsung SSD's for media cache, previews, and footage. Footage is various
H.264 coming from Sony A7R3s and Panasonic G9's.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolled back to 14.2 and everything is functioning as it should.  It's just incredibly frustrating playing Russion Roullette with your workflow and deadlines every time you decide to upgrade to a newer version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0