• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playhead will lag and jump after a few seconds in Premiere Pro 2019

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening recently and I am wondering if this is happening to anyone else: While I am watching playback OR attempting to move the playhead in Premiere, it will lag for a few seconds and often skip over the portion of the timeline I am trying to work on. It will run smooth for a moment and then freeze for a second and skip to catch up to where "it should be."

I have been trying to figure out a work around for weeks at this point, but it has become quite a nuisance.

The specs on my MacBook are pretty good:

15-inch, Mid 2015

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB RAM

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536mb

500gb internal space

I have never had this problem before.

I have tried decreasing file size and running proxies.

I have tried running my playback resolution at the lowest it will go.

I have tried running the same project on CC 2018 & 2017.

Nothing seems to be working.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Hi, I just found a solution (for me) on another forum post here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2605570#sa_src=web-messaging

If any of you also have Insta360 software on your computer - this may be the cause of your problems.

I uninstalled the software, my program is working perfectly again.

Pity I have spent an entire 9 hours trying to fix this - I've lost all my settings, everything.

Adobe if you read this - you need to work with Insta360 to make sure their software doesn't sabotage yours.

Hope t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever Pr acts like it doesn't normally, refreshing the prefs fixes it most of the time.  Start Pr with the opt/alt key held down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input, but that has not resolved the issue,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue.  I've been on the support chat with adobe trying all sorts of fixes and nothing seems to resolve the issue.

My specs are as follows:

Mac mini 2018

3.2GHz i7

32GB ram

eGPU AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

Mac OS 10.14.4

Premiere 13.0.3 (Build 9)

The project I am working on has a variety of types and sizes of footage all of which I have created proxies for.  The Project and all media is on an SSD connected via USB-c 3.1

I have tried reinstalling premiere, refreshing preferences, working with out the eGPU.  The playback seems to be fine, no dropped frames  and smooth at a variety of different qualities. The issue is only with the skipping playhead.  It is very difficult to edit when you cant stop the play head where you need it to make the cut.  Looking forward to getting this resolved sooner rather than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also... If I open this same project up on my older 2014 MacBook Pro playback is fine and the timeline operates as expected. so it looks like i'lll be editing this project on this machine 

And to confuse the matter even more... When I opened up a different project on the Mac mini  it operates normally, playback is good and the playhead in the timeline is moving as expected.

Throughly confused by this.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Legend, Worked for me thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing happening to me however Im on a MacMini 2012 fully loaded.  By any chance is your video rendering and playback set to Mercury Playback  Engine Software Only ... and greyed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I can select between Mercury Playback GPU Acceleration (metal) or Mercury Playback GPU Acceleration (Open CL).

I took the project I wrote this post about and opened it up on my 2014 MBP and everything works as it should. I was able to finish a rough draft of the edit and get it out for review.  I have another project that I am working on that was started on this MBP late last year.  I opened it up again this week to do some more work on it and it is working fine on the MBP but when I move it to thew mac mini and open up I get beach ball of death every time I move the mouse.

This is TOTAL BULLSHIT. I have lost so much time to this Issue. I've tried every trick, clean instal, delete preferences, different render engines, reseting workspaces, moving scratch and media cache to their own separate ssd, updated premiere, updated Mac OS, bought an egpu, bought ssd's. There is some glitch in premiere that if I open a project on this laptop and then move it to the mac mini it's too glitchy to work on. IS there some preference or setting that gets set that allows it to work on the old hardware and not the new? perhaps something with the multicore processes in the Mac mini or something similar. Not sure but I guess Ill just work on the MBP for now and keep new projects to the new computer only.

Moderator Note: Kindly do not post profanity. We have minors reading this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying and it seems to be the same for me. Opening the projects on my PC at work everything seemed fine. All my projects used to be just fine on my Mac, but now all of a sudden do not. It's almost if Apple's update is killing the system. Probably because they want everyone to use Final Cut Pro10 and make all of the other systems run like shit on upgraded software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing horrible playhead lag in CC18 and CC19. I believe that I have narrowed it down to being an issue with Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue that everyone has mentioned here. Has anyone found a solution?

I have been talking to Support and have went through literally every step by step re install, creative cloud clean, cache wipe, preference delete (thanks for that by the way.. keyboard shortcuts gone, and nothing fixed..).

I've even tried new project, and copying only the latest timeline from the old problematic project, and it's as if it carries over the sluggishness. There is nothing on that timeline that is out of the ordinary to any other Project so why is it doing this.

It's dire, it's impossible to work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have possibly solved the issue on a test machine by doing a complete erase and install of the operating system. I will be doing the same on my main editing station later this week and will let you know the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full Mojave erase and install with a fresh CC install of just Premiere does not resolve the issue for me.

Adobe, this has been an ongoing issue since CC2018. We make a living using this software, please stop ignoring this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slingshot,

Adobe, this has been an ongoing issue since CC2018. We make a living using this software, please stop ignoring this.

Sorry for this issue. Kindly contact us. These forums are largely user to user based. To make a complaint to our product team, use User Voice: Premiere Pro: Hot (5021 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I have already tried both of the support methods that you suggest. Is there any other ways to escalate this? It has become a huge productivity issue for myself and others.

Any additional insight would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The only thing that worked for me was uninstalling my current version of Premiere and reinstalling 2017... And even that acts up from time to time, but I think that was linked to having Bluetooth headphones connected, believe it or not.

I believe uninstalling your OS would probably fix it, though that is a lot to have to go through for this issue that Adobe should have solved ages ago. Either way, this is a ridiculous thing to have to deal with. Especially with tight deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, disconecting the Bluetooth connection solved the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just found a solution (for me) on another forum post here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2605570#sa_src=web-messaging

If any of you also have Insta360 software on your computer - this may be the cause of your problems.

I uninstalled the software, my program is working perfectly again.

Pity I have spent an entire 9 hours trying to fix this - I've lost all my settings, everything.

Adobe if you read this - you need to work with Insta360 to make sure their software doesn't sabotage yours.

Hope this helps you all - if not, best of luck on your search for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I do have Insta360...

I will have to try when I get home and see if this is the fix. If so, you will have saved so much time and energy you should be knighted by the Queen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstall insta360 and it seems to have fixed the problem!  I will let you know if that changes, but for now it seems to have worked. Amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the bottleneck:

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB RAM

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536mb

CC2019 is very particular on hardware and your GPU and CPU are far from ideal to ensure smooth and seamless playback.

Try this:

Drop playback resolution to 1/2. Disable High Quality Playback and let me know what happens

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input, but I have already tried this method to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 GHz Intel Xeon W

128GB RAM

Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB

And same as Jonathan, I have tried all of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan what is the resolution and codec of the footage you are trying to edit

Could you post some screenshots of this and the Sequence please

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mo,

I have screen captures on my post:

CC18/19 Playhead lag when scrubbing full screen TL in Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines