• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please check this Premiere Pro work flow, need advice.

Advocate ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so here is my work flow to make Standard 4:3 DV 24p clips into a 16:9 Bluray Disc:  (155mins)

system:   Ryzen 7, 32gb, gtx1050ti gpu

1) Edit in PPro includes Upscale, Color and Neat Video Denoise

2) Export Timeline (in sections) using MPEG2.

3) Import the MPEG2's back into PPro.

4) Tweek audio, export master timeline using H.264 BluRay to create mpg4 files, 

Then burn those to disc.

The reason I'm exporting the sections to mpeg2 is because the sequences are loaded down with effects/color/upscale and I figure if I make little mpeg2's out of the sequences, it's easier on the computer to then send them all to H.264 to make the final mpeg4.  

Thoughts, opinions and advice is highly appreciated.

Have a great day,

Letty

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

there's a big difference between a delivery format and an intermediate format.  a delivery format is about how it looks, NOT about how it will maintain quality as it's copied and edited.  An intermediate format (not sure if this is the correct terminology but that's what I'm using) is one that can be used as a source for editing and copying without serious loss (I'm just talking about an occasional digital error when the copy is made and there are ways to minimize that danger).  If you want the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope.  creating an intermediate that's an mpeg file is NOT a good idea.  use something like prores 422 or better.  Yeah, I know larger file sizes, but probably no visible loss... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but how to lower the size file?  

When I use mpg2, max settings, the final video looks the same as the original, the bit rate is a pinch lower, 22 vs.23 , but visually looks the same, even when I blow it up.   My footage is standard DV, maybe because it's not HD, using mpeg2 is ok?  or will I damage the final product?

The 422 is about 700mb for the file size, for a one minute clip.  Huge.

What to do?   I want the best finished product possible. 

You think my computer can handle 2 hours of huge 422 clips, burning them all on a disc? 

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Letty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's a big difference between a delivery format and an intermediate format.  a delivery format is about how it looks, NOT about how it will maintain quality as it's copied and edited.  An intermediate format (not sure if this is the correct terminology but that's what I'm using) is one that can be used as a source for editing and copying without serious loss (I'm just talking about an occasional digital error when the copy is made and there are ways to minimize that danger).  If you want the best finished product possible, stop worrying about file size...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for that.  You are right.

Best,

Letty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mgrenadier is correct, and especially because there's no reason to keep the DI ... digital intermediate ... files after you've finished the project. You can recreate those at any time again from the originals is you need to.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Heya Neil, thanks for that!  I'm going with ProRes... found some extra space on a drive that works. 

Best,
Letty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines