• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help me make a quick change to a video and then export without quality loss

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a video clip from my youtube channel. I want to add 15 seconds of blank space to the end for Youtube end screens. BUT I don't want it to lose quality!

Everytime I try to get started in Premiere, the export settings make me anxious. I just want it to keep the same size, scale, framerate, and compression as much as possible. How can I do that? Does it have to be re-encoded? Please help.

TOPICS
Export , Formats , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

there are 2 measures of quality, visible and technical...  generally youtube clips are heavily compressed as mp4's which is an mpeg format.  by it's nature, you are usually decompressing it to work with it and the recompressing it to export it and there will be measurable loss but not necessarily visible loss.  It's very easy to over obsess over this kind of thing.  Generally the safest way to work in premiere is to select the clip in the bin and control click and choose new sequence from clip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are 2 measures of quality, visible and technical...  generally youtube clips are heavily compressed as mp4's which is an mpeg format.  by it's nature, you are usually decompressing it to work with it and the recompressing it to export it and there will be measurable loss but not necessarily visible loss.  It's very easy to over obsess over this kind of thing.  Generally the safest way to work in premiere is to select the clip in the bin and control click and choose new sequence from clip.  This will match pixel dimensions and frame rate..  When you go to export, choose the youtube preset that matches those settings and you should be good to go.  visually compare the original file and your new exported file and I doubt you'll see any difference.  If you do, post back with your source properties and maybe someone will have some ideas about how to improve the quality.  there are other editing apps which supposedly do not decompress and recompress... not sure how true that is, but as I said, this is something you probably don't need to worry about.  And remember that everyone's viewing experience in youtube is different.  If the end user doesn't have the bandwidth to play the clip at full resolution, youtube will playback a lower resolution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and just remembered, I think there are some editing solutions in youtube studio.  You might see about adding the black there...  Not sure if will give you any better quality, but might help worry less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Youtube studio is helpful for subtracting clips, but it doesn't currently let you add clips or images.
So that may be an answer for some people, but doesn't solve this particular issue for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful!!! Thank you! This is what I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines