• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to change Program Window background to black?

Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with scanned slides in Premiere CS6. Sometimes I want to leave the ragged edges (in the photo, at the bottom edge), but I can't judge how it will look when projected because the background in Premiere is grey.

Program Window.jpg

What I see in the horizontal direction, especially if the slide is 3:2 aspect, is the slide in the centre, the black background of the 16:9 video area, and then the grey of the Program Window. Not at all close to what will be projected.

Is it possible to alter the background of the Program Window to black?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to put a black-video matte as a background, image over that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried something similar and it didn't work. I want to change the colour of Premiere's background (the dark grey), not the background of the 1920 x 1080 image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change the UI, you go into the Preferences dialog ... Edit/Preferences/Appearance.

You can lighten or darken the background UI tone some there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion of the Appearance option, but it only goes down to a dark grey, not black. I would have thought that for the Program Window, at least when in full screen mode, that black would be a desirable option for the background, to mimic a theatre, and not just a dark grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be an nice option. One of the concepts in general in UI for imaging apps is to keep the UI somewhere towards middle neutral values, as if the UI is too bright or too dark, users tend to shift their work differently than they would if middle values prevailed. Hence, to get consistency and best over-all evaluation, a middlish-middle dark-ish gray.

There are times it's nice to test in total dark. Not many, for most users ... but occasionally for some. So yea, would be a nice additional option.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Should Adobe decide for the user which color is best and in what degree its custamizable ?.. I don't think so. 

A black background could be very nice to have.. and i don't know what reason they have not to implement it. if it doesn't help, it won't hurt. In the end its nothing more then fullscreen mode which u can resize and scroll by hand.. Sounds ideal to me.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pets,

If you mean setting the program monitor background to white, no.

If you mean setting a white frame of program material to fade in from, yes. To me the easiest way to do that would be to go to the Graphics workspace, Edit tab. In the EGP panel, make a rectangle, resize it to fill the frame, then give it a color in the controls for that in the EGP.

There are a couple ways to go from that to the clip. You could put the graphic on V2 and clip on V1, and do opacity keyframes to take the graphic from 100% to 0% while you bring the clip from 0% to 100%.

Or you could have them on the same track, and use a cross-dissolve transition.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nail's answer is very good, but I think what you want is to obscure the gray part of the panel and not just the sequence, in that case it will be difficult because in the preferences you have a tab to obscure the interface but not totally black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks,

i am not sure, if i understood your answers.

"There are a couple ways to go from that to the clip. You could put the graphic on V2 and clip on V1, and do opacity keyframes to take the graphic from 100% to 0% while you bring the clip from 0% to 100%."

this, if i got right, is a "blend" - the same as using the function/filter "soft blend from white" - which i did.

isnt this a basic issue for a lot of users, working with many adjustmentlayers, when using a white soft blend (on the top layer) (5-10sec) at the start and end? its on v7, v2 - v6 are adjustment layers, and v1 is the movie track.

the adjustment layers are coloring the white blend on top, (although it is on top?) i dont understand, why. 🙂

i did the hard way, and made all adjustment layers blend in the same 5-10 sec at start and end, manually, took me 2h, and works a bit. now the white looks less orange.

i think experts or professionals know a quick workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry pets, I had answered Guy Burns' question. Regarding your question, once again the solution is in Neil's answer, you could also create a white Color Matte and leave it in V1 as a background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its so easy for Adobe to do this, but they don't ... It would be

so nice to have a bit more cinematic experience without losing your view on the controls. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines