• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PP Media Relinking Advanced Issue (Relinking Files with the same Clip Name)

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

So basically I have a project that was edited and a bunch of the "clip names" are identical and when the original editor imported the files PP automatically created separate filenames for those clips to tell them apart from each other. Now someone sent me the project and i have all of the original media with the same repeat clip names but they are in separate folders so i know which ones are which but when i try to relink them it overwrites the auto generated File name with the clip name so PP cant distinguish which ones are which in my project after i manually relinked them all once. (See attached video for further explanation: https://youtu.be/TZkkykEzCYs

So what i need to do is relink them but without it overwriting the autogenerated filename so that way it knows the difference between the 3 clips with the same name, just like it did when the original editor imported the clips for the first time.

Only other solution i can think of would be to go through and rename all of the original media so that all the clip names are different and then manually relink to those new clip names but its hundreds of files so I am hoping one of you more enlightened users can help me.

Thanks in advanced for any help you may be able to provide!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understood your YT video correctly, all of the video clips are in folders that are unique and which let you know which clip is which, even if it has the same file name?

I would:

• Do a Save As and save your project in its current state with a version number appended to the name (in case what I'm about to tell you blows up in your face). 😀
  • Go ahead and relink all the media, accepting the automatic renaming.
  • Open your project bin(s) and select freeform view.
  • Right-click a column header and choose Metadata display.
  • Twirl open the Premiere Pro Project Metadata item and scroll down to File Path and select it.

FilePathMetadataDisplay.jpg 

• Once you have the file path displayed in the freeform view, drag the column header so that it's right next to the clip name in the Project panel.
  • Sort on the file path column.

It's not elegant, but it should let you distinguish between CLIP001 in Folder A and CLIP001 in Folder B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
UPDATE:
I relinked with 2 different projects and both are having the same result. In the first one I just went through and manually did each clip. On the second one I actually renamed all of the files to have unique names on my actual drives and then went through and relinked them all 1 by 1 to the correct files...

In both cases something is happening where the clips aren't relinking properly and I believe the "in's and Out's" are getting thrown off cause the media to be shifted out of place in the timeline and completely missing in cases, as seen by the striped clips in the timeline. I will now have to go through and re edit the ins and outs of of each clip in the timeline to recreate the original cuts.

At this point I believe this is a bug because I have relinked everything perfectly and none of the clips have changed nor have I made any modifications to the project. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 1.01.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines