• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PP Timeline shifts clips when the project file and video files are moved to another drive.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

A few days ago the director for my new music video transferred all video files and the PP project with the cut to my drive so I can do some final touches. All shots were shot with Sony A7 III raw. Now when I open the project and relink all media (there's nothing missing) the video is about 20sec before the audio. It isn't for every clip, some are synced correctly. Why is this happening and how can I fix it? Both of us are with the newest Premiere version, I have all of the files and am linking them correctly.

I really hope there's a fix to this as I have been trying everything for the last 2-3hrs with no progress, and don't think manual nudging will help as not everything is affected.

Thank you! 🙂

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Hello,

You could have 2 kind of Shifts I think (based on our experience at Autokroma : we are selling some PremierePro plugins and some of our clients had this kind of shifts).

Note : for your test, please take care of testing on an original project copy ! If you save the project after relinking with the shift inside, the project will not be recoverable and the tests will be wrong.

The first one is the "Timecode Shift". When you are relinking the files in PremierePro, please be sure that the che

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Many users are having issues with VFR. If the file is variable frame rate, use Hand brake to convert to constant frame rate:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Here is a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also:

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work,try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Also, please help us help you:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-what-information-should-i-provide-when-asking-a-ques...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, thanks so much for the detailed answer!

I tried everything shown by you, but nothing seems to solve the problem. It's worth mentioning I tried running the project on 2 systems, on a PC and a MAC, to the same result. The original project with the files that is on the directors computer works perfectly fine, I think it's a problem with Premiere screwing with the transfer (Even though it shows everything is found) instead of anything else.

The VFR doesn't work either, as I said the media is perfectly fine and is working on the original project on the original hard drive, it's just the duplicate on my SSD that is having the timeline shift problems. Don't know if that helps, but I really think it's a similar issue to this:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/39708742-cc-2020-timeline-c...

https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Premiere-Pro-Timeline-Shift-First-Frame-After-Moving-Project-Relinkin...

But then if it is this, surely they would've fixed it in an update since March?

Thank you! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you check that your source material is constant frame rate in media info?  The thing with vfr material is the problems do not happen consistently...  and you cannot predict when they'll rear their ugly headsss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, I clicked correct answer by mistake.  should be a way to remove my mistake..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

should be a way to remove my mistake..

Just click it again and it will toggle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Yes I did check, it is constant frame rate! I have no clue what's going on hah! 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For editing in general, but especially for cross-platform work, you want to go witb a CODEC that's good for editing.  As great as the picture quality is from Sony a7 III is, it should be transcoded to one of the Smart Rendering CODEC.  I'd recommend Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

Also, your media is organized such that you can pass a project drive back and forth, right?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and if I remember correctly the Sony A7 creates media with 8 audio tracks in some sort of proprietary format and it's impossible (at least for me) to create proxies for this media that will work.  It's possible that there's a setting on the camera to reduce the number of audio tracks, but since I was just the lowly editor, no one asked me...

I work on both a windows machine and a macbookpro and move projects back and forth with out any issues beyond usually needing to relink one media fine (and then the reset reconnect automatically

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProRes QuickTime should support that many audio tracks.

Reconnecting/relonking media is probably where the isse for this post is getting introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya,

I will try the CODEC thing tomorrow morning, though it still does not make too much sense why there is no such problem on the directors HDD but there is on the copied version. If that doesn't work, I'll continue manually synching all clips, I did that for 4 of the takes and once synced all works perfectly, so it's not a framerate etc. issue, its literally just the clips getting out of synch. It's just so tedious synching everything manually, it'd be great if I do find the answer so I know for next time haha!

Thanks for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How were the clips originally imported via File > Import or via Media Browser > right click > Import? It should be the latter for any CF card based media or else the metadata for the clip, differentiating it from other similarly named clips, is lost. That is the likely issue, Dobromir.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You could have 2 kind of Shifts I think (based on our experience at Autokroma : we are selling some PremierePro plugins and some of our clients had this kind of shifts).

Note : for your test, please take care of testing on an original project copy ! If you save the project after relinking with the shift inside, the project will not be recoverable and the tests will be wrong.

The first one is the "Timecode Shift". When you are relinking the files in PremierePro, please be sure that the checkbox "Align Timecode" is not ticked, otherwise if the timecode has changed the shift will occur when relinking.

The second one is the "First Frame Shift" : this bug is not corrected in last PPro and can still happen. For this one, you should see that your shifted files begin at their first frame in the timeline. If you have this bug, then please send us your prproj (without the mediafiles ) we could be able to correct it and we will send you the corrected version : https://www.autokroma.com/contact (choose "BRAW Studio" in the list even if it doesn't concern BRAW Studio).

We also have in our product an automatic tool to relink your medias in the project (but not using the Premiere Pro Relink way). Because the shift is likely to happen when the media are relinked, if we relink them before : there is no "Premiere Pro" relink and so no shift happening. We could see this with you if the second solution didn't work.

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I decided before I do anything else I'll try the Align Timecode thing you talked about. IT SOLVED IT! Thank you, it was literally just that, the second I un clicked that box on the relink page everything was in synch.

Thank you Nicolas, you saved me another 1-2hrs of manual synching ha!

Best wishes,
Dobromir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines