Highlighted

PP2020: captions problem

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I click on File -> New -> Captions. Then I drag the captions box onto the video timeline. There are two issues that are different from what how-to videos on YouTube are showing:

1) When the caption box is dragged onto the timeline, it shows as a thin vertical line at the start of the timeline instead of as a contiguous rectangle. So I just drag it to the right to extend it over the entire length of the video. The instruction videos on YouTube show that the area over the timeline is a horizontal purple rectangle as soon as the caption box is placed over the timeline. How can I set the caption area to appear as a rectangular block automatically over the timeline?

2) That little black rectangle in the caption area over the timeline is missing. YouTube instruction videos all show it appearing automatically when the caption box is dragged onto the timeline. As a result, I can't adjust the position and duration of the caption.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I think I have discovered why I am having this problem. It is because for some reason, even though my phone shot a video in landscape, when I import the video into Premiere and drag it onto the timeline, it appears as portrait. So I had to use Premiere to tweak some settings to rotate the video to make it appear as a landscape on the timeline. When I view this particular video in VLC or Windows Media Player, it appears in portrait mode, so other media players also see it as a portrait too.

If I was to import a video that is already in landscape mode (as viewed in VLC or another video player), then I can drag a caption element onto the timeline and there are no problems with the missing black rectangle in the purple captions area.

So I guess a simple solution for me is to somehow flip the video to landscape first, and then import it into Premiere. I'll give that a go and will update with the result.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PP2020: captions problem

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I click on File -> New -> Captions. Then I drag the captions box onto the video timeline. There are two issues that are different from what how-to videos on YouTube are showing:

1) When the caption box is dragged onto the timeline, it shows as a thin vertical line at the start of the timeline instead of as a contiguous rectangle. So I just drag it to the right to extend it over the entire length of the video. The instruction videos on YouTube show that the area over the timeline is a horizontal purple rectangle as soon as the caption box is placed over the timeline. How can I set the caption area to appear as a rectangular block automatically over the timeline?

2) That little black rectangle in the caption area over the timeline is missing. YouTube instruction videos all show it appearing automatically when the caption box is dragged onto the timeline. As a result, I can't adjust the position and duration of the caption.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I think I have discovered why I am having this problem. It is because for some reason, even though my phone shot a video in landscape, when I import the video into Premiere and drag it onto the timeline, it appears as portrait. So I had to use Premiere to tweak some settings to rotate the video to make it appear as a landscape on the timeline. When I view this particular video in VLC or Windows Media Player, it appears in portrait mode, so other media players also see it as a portrait too.

If I was to import a video that is already in landscape mode (as viewed in VLC or another video player), then I can drag a caption element onto the timeline and there are no problems with the missing black rectangle in the purple captions area.

So I guess a simple solution for me is to somehow flip the video to landscape first, and then import it into Premiere. I'll give that a go and will update with the result.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 19, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D,

Sorry for the frustration. Captions are functioning OK for me here in a brand new project. Can you show us screenshots of what you are seeing. Make sure you embed them, don't attach them, so we can all see them better.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply.

The first picture shows only a thin white vertical line (V3) instead of a purple rectangle after the caption element has been dragged onto the video timeline. I have to manually drag the vertical white line to the right in order for the purple rectangular caption area to appear.

The second picture shows the purple caption area, but within that area should be a black rectangular area that I can drag around and resize to change the position of the caption and it's height etc. The black area is missing, but on all the YouTube instruction videos, that black area appears automatically inside the purple area.

CaptionProblem1.JPGCaptionProblem2.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing those screenshots. That sure looks odd.

It would also help for us to see a screenshot of your Caption Panel with the caption stream selected.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, here are the pics. The captions don't even appear in the video window on the top right corner.

caption windowcaption windowfull screenfull screen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggested solution above totally worked.

For Windows users, you can use the inbuilt app to rotate video. Follow these instructions: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-rotate-a-video-in-windows-media-player?r=AU&IR=T

Then once imported into Premiere in the correct orrientation, it the caption should work. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0