• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pr - Playback Glitches

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started my final edit today of a 20min film project; it's my first time editing directly from the raw footage/files. It will be a 1920s/silent film style, so most clips are adjusted to 200% speed. 19 MP4s, 1 MP3 and 51 seconds into the film, I've noticed playback glitches in two places; I know it's only going to get worse as I add files and I need to be able to see how the edit is flowing. I've tried clearing the media cache with no effect. Other solutions seem to invovle adjusting various settings/frame rates/codecs/proxies and requiring I start over, but I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

My system specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
System Model X570 AORUS MASTER
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB

NVIDIA Quadro P2000
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Driver Version 26.21.14.3200

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Hi Stuart,

The first thing to try is to make sure all your speed effects are rendered. Next, I would try placing media on a second SSD or other solid state storage and not on your boot drive. Third, I recommend avoiding using compressed audio media like .mp3. If you must, render your audio before playback. Lastly, creating proxies for .mp4 footage can really improve your playback. Personally, I transcode all .mp4s to ProRes LT instead of creating proxies, but it is the same principle, that is, a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

This seems to have fixed it, at least for now. @ 6:45

Edit Video FAST on a SLOW Computer! - Codecs, Transcoding, and Proxies - YouTube

Thanks for the help everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure Default Input in the Audio Hardware in the Preferences is set to No Input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you; it has been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knowing what kind of glitch you're encountering would help.
If your clips are going to be used at 200%, try modifying the clip in the Project Panel instead of speeding up playback.

To try this out, make a copy of your project and experiment in the copy. That way you have the other to fall back on easilly.

Set the clip Speed/Durration to 100%.

In the Project Panel, right-click on the clips and select Modify then Interpret Footage...

Click Assume Frame Rate and double the frame rate. This will effectively speed up your footage to 200% in a way that may not cause the glitches you're experiencing.

So, to speed up a clip, Interpret the Footage as twice the actual frame rate, from 30fps to 60fps, for example.

You can select a batch of clips in the Project Panel and modify them all at once if you like.

This will not affect the files on the hard drive. This just tells Premiere to use them differently.

Interpret.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you; it seems like an intuitive solution but unfortunately it made the clips strangely sluggish; others were blocked out somehow, and others seem to have shifted in sequence from where I edited/cropped them - very weird. It was worth a try though, I appreciate your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stuart,

The first thing to try is to make sure all your speed effects are rendered. Next, I would try placing media on a second SSD or other solid state storage and not on your boot drive. Third, I recommend avoiding using compressed audio media like .mp3. If you must, render your audio before playback. Lastly, creating proxies for .mp4 footage can really improve your playback. Personally, I transcode all .mp4s to ProRes LT instead of creating proxies, but it is the same principle, that is, avoiding using H.264 and HEVC footage in an editing session. Some people don't have the time, drive space, or patience for these steps, but if you want hitch free playback, try them. 

If these don't work, please let us know so we can further troubleshoot.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, that aligns with the solution I found. Your input is very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm halfway through the edit; I created proxies for all the video clips and that more or less worked until now; playback was still choppy at points, but think maybe I got away with it because the 2x speed fx uses fewer frames. Now that I need to edit a clip at just regular speed, playback is too choppy to see what I'm doing. I've rendered the audio fx; I also rendered the video fx, though I didn't see any loading/processing pop-up, so it's unclear if it worked. I don't think I have an SSD, only regular C/E (boot?) drives and an external hard drive. Would appreciate further help, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have fixed it, at least for now. @ 6:45

Edit Video FAST on a SLOW Computer! - Codecs, Transcoding, and Proxies - YouTube

Thanks for the help everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines