Highlighted

Pr to Ae Dynamic Link collaborative workflow??

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Im editing, my collegue does vfx. We are on a shared storage.

I want to implement Dynamic Link from Pr to Ae to our workflow.

When I need to send a clip from my timeline to him for some vfx. I want to click "Replace With After Effects Composition". 

He opens up the after effects project on his system and starts working.

My problem is that everytime he hits save. The dynamic link breaks and the comp in Premiere turns offline.

Any ideas why?

This is a known limitation of Dynamic Link when using a shared network server. Nothing specific to Productions, you'll see the same behavior if you're in a single project or a production.

The limitation is that you won't get updates in Premiere on your end when the After Effects artist saves the .aep. After the After Effects artist saves, you need to either:

1) close and re-open the Premiere project, or

2) Right click on the .aep comp in your Premiere timeline and choose Edit Original to open the .aep in After Effects, which will then update Premiere Pro's timeline for you.

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pr to Ae Dynamic Link collaborative workflow??

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Im editing, my collegue does vfx. We are on a shared storage.

I want to implement Dynamic Link from Pr to Ae to our workflow.

When I need to send a clip from my timeline to him for some vfx. I want to click "Replace With After Effects Composition". 

He opens up the after effects project on his system and starts working.

My problem is that everytime he hits save. The dynamic link breaks and the comp in Premiere turns offline.

Any ideas why?

This is a known limitation of Dynamic Link when using a shared network server. Nothing specific to Productions, you'll see the same behavior if you're in a single project or a production.

The limitation is that you won't get updates in Premiere on your end when the After Effects artist saves the .aep. After the After Effects artist saves, you need to either:

2) Right click on the .aep comp in your Premiere timeline and choose Edit Original to open the .aep in After Effects, which will then update Premiere Pro's timeline for you.

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on shared storage but different machines. That is the problem right there. Especially if you are using "standard" stand-alone projects in Premiere.

Both the Productions and Team Projects processes should get around this however. And are designed for collaborative workflows.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying Neil! 

Our plan is to do it while working inside a Production, but same problem occurs unfortunately. 
Might have to look into if the shared storage is causing this. But that would be very weird because the .aep does not move when he saves. I dont loose access to that folder in any way, but Premiere still acts like it moved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And everything on both machines is inside the same Production folder ... ? Huh, that's not supposed to have this break.

I wonder if @mattchristensen could pop in with an idea?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try simply importing the Comp into PP. Drop the aep into the project and pick the comp you want. I do that more than 'Replace with AE...' and it should update whenever the file is changed (only do I know from working on the same computer). I mostly do an AE project and export out a ProRes or Cineform intermediate and drop that into PP. But try the import see what happens when it's modified from a different machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 2
Mads HN LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay. Then we'll have to work around it like that. Thank you for replying!

Since its a known limitation, it seems like adding a simple refresh button could make it easier. (?).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 1