I have tried for several days to get a closed caption file to export from Premier Pro that will be acceptable to Amazon Prime Video Direct. I have been unsuccessful. The SRT sidecar fileappear fine when inspected in a text editor but they are not. I either get a message that there are errors in the timecode or that the titles are "out of synch or garbled".
After reading the posts on this forum and finding nothing on Youtube. I tried to diagnose this problem further and found more problems. I imported the SRT file back into premier and dropped it on the timeline and found that it was a different length that the video. Luckily it was only the last title that was missing. It took me several attempts to finally get the last title to show. I think it has something to do with the CC file extending past the end of the video timeline. Also when you create a CC file in premier you can click it on and off with the closed captioned view button in the program monitor. Not so with imported files. They are always on. Furthermore you can adjust the font and font size on imported caption files but not on those greated in Permier Pro. The option doesn't even exist in the menue... Come On Adobe! You can do better than this.
One of the forum posts declared that Amazon Prime Direct didnt accept time codes that overlap. Well that's a bummer every timecode generated by Premier overlaps! When two captions are butted up together on the timeline the out timecode is the same as the in timecode for the next caption. So I went through an intire half hour movie and moved every caption 1 milisecond apart in my text editor. Fail! That didn't work either.
So finally I went to a web based file conversion service and converted my modified SRT file to SCC format and reuploaded it to Prime Direct. The new version of Premier doesn't let me directly output SCC files in 708 and 708 that is the only version that Premier allows wide screen or 23.976 frame rate content. One of the files is still under review the other one failed. I had the problem several years ago with another project and it is still under review so I guess it's not going to work. Can someone at Adobe get their act together and get us a captioning feature that actually works for the biggest content provider in the world? Or do we need to go to FCP or Davinci Resolve for this?
Editing, Effects and Titles, Error or problem, Export
I reached out to someone that may have more info; I have never used this. Does anyone have this workflow nailed down?
Your workflow is not clear to me. Closed Caption (608 or 708) have special characteristics, including how timecode is handled, and I'm not sure you can export regular srt and get that to a closed caption file without problems. What you doing? (Type of PR caption stream, export method, conversion method.) Yes, it should be possible.
I cannot find the other threads on this I recall, and, in any event, I don't recall a report of success.
A couple comments. Your export/reimport suggests that you have Closed Captions in PR (correct, I assume 708) but are getting Open Captions when you reimport. This depends on your import settings. It is not really the problem, just an oddity of your test method. In any event, I don't think reimport to PR is a reliable method for testing closed captions.
You have limited options for adjusting fonts in Closed Captions. That is correct. Once you have the Open Captions, you have more font options. That is also correct, but of no use to you because you need Closed Caption output.
I don't believe that the same timecode for the out code on one caption and the in code for the next is technically overlap. (That is how PR creates them when you add one after another.) But if you are going to add a small gap, it needs to match the timecode. You can't just add 1 millisecond. For example, in 23.976, 22 frames (e.g. 00:00:05:22) is 922 milliseconds. 23 frames is 951. The next frame will be zero milliseconds.
Also, some closed caption files (e.g. scc) do not allow just any timebase.
And yes, the format options exporting from PR are limited. I do not know which one I would use. I suspect the timed text .xml.
Regarding the future, the public Beta has a new caption workflow that is using the essential graphics engine. Because of those changes, I don't expect any changes in the current caption system. Note that the Beta captions are not ready for primetime; basic functions are not yet available.