Premier Improvements

New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ask that the Premiere development people dedicate themselves more to the performance of the program, mainly to run 4K. There are improvements that are getting worse! The colorization process 5 versions ago was much better and easier to work with. Now it sucks! Thanks

TOPICS
Editing, Effects and Titles, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro
User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

The good news is they have been and are continuing to work on performance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As MyerPJ notes, they've actually made major strides in performance ... but that mostly helps with newer and more potent hardware. Like all these other video post apps, over time the basic requirements for computer gear keep going up. Always have, always will. 14.x to 15.x PrPro was another step up in demands on the system, as was the jump from 13.x to 14.x before it.

A few months backI went from a 6-core CPU with 32GB of RAM and a 1060GPU to a 24-core rig, 126GB of RAM, and a 2080Ti . This is what ... my third rig since I started video pro work about eight years ago? Got about 3.5/4 years a machine there.

As MyerPj also commented ... the main place the development team looks is at that UserVoice website. This site is primarily user-to-user help, like MyerPj and me.

But every post on the UserVoice site is logged into their system manually by an engineer. I've talked with one of them, and his biggest complaint was far too many of the posts don't give nearly enough detail. They want the hardware, the OS, the media, the cameras and such, the effects ... the workspaces ... they need all that to really understand what someone is talking about in engineering depth.

The other thing about the UserVoice ... Adobe is driven by metrics. Compiled and collated by the "marketing & experience" or M&E staffers, who are outside the program teams. The M&E types read their metrics tea leaves and basically tell the program teams what they think the program teams should be doing. Kinda bonkers to me, but that's their Thang. So you gotta go with what drives their system.

And posting complaints/suggestions on UserVoice, plus upvoting other complaints/suggestions, is one of the main ways "we users" have to generate metrics for the M&E folks.

Another place that is also frequented by engineers is their Premiere Pro Public Beta Forum ... going there to post what your gear/media/effects are and what performance you're getting will also get it seen by an engineer.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro performs as good as FCPX, Avid, Resolve etc. I admit sometimes Premire Pro needs to be tweaked out after major updates. The CUDA acceleration can cut out or Nvenc and Quikc Sync can cut out. A lot of people complained about thier CPU fan reving up after an update and Premiere Pro was stuttery during playback. My guess is that Quick Sync or Nvnec stopped working. Below is a way to help trouble shoot your system. Please let us know your stats.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Premiere Pro's Smart Rendering workflow?

Taking advantage of that on a workstation with high bandwidth storage (i.e. Thunderbolt SSD or Flash storage) makes for pretty fluid video editing in Premiere Pro.

4K can be demanding for an older workstation (I'd say anyting 2015 and older if using a Smart Rendering CODEC) in which case you defienatly want to leverage the Premiere Pro Proxy workflow.

It's probably worth mentionting that Premiere Pro's performance is nothing short of exceptional on the M1 Macs - and those are the low-end models of the Mac line: 2k, 4k, whatever.

Sorry to hear your're not liking the Color Correction features.  I've found Lumitri to have improved significantly over the years and the Match Color feature was very, very welcomed.  You may want to check out Blackmagic Divinci Resolve where the color correction controls are very well respected in the industry.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"The colorization process five versions ago ... " wondering, are you referring to the EOL'd app SpeedGrade? Other than that, not sure what you're talking about.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines