Highlighted

Premier Pro - white dots appearing on eyes

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me a work around with an issue I'm coming across in Premier Pro with some  geen screen video I shot.

The issue I'm having is when I change the background to pure white/light gray, there are white dots that appear and disappear on the subjects eyes. When the background is pure black, I don't have this issue. I've tried an elipse mask and inverting it, but the subject moves her head around too much so the mask isn't very effective. 

Below is a screenshot of what I'm seeing. Is there a way to fix this without using a mask? Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!

white on eyes.PNG

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premier Pro - white dots appearing on eyes

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me a work around with an issue I'm coming across in Premier Pro with some  geen screen video I shot.

The issue I'm having is when I change the background to pure white/light gray, there are white dots that appear and disappear on the subjects eyes. When the background is pure black, I don't have this issue. I've tried an elipse mask and inverting it, but the subject moves her head around too much so the mask isn't very effective. 

Below is a screenshot of what I'm seeing. Is there a way to fix this without using a mask? Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!

white on eyes.PNG

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Difficult to see as the screenshot is rather small.

Please post a image of the original footage with the green background.

Also post computer specs, OS and Premiere build and media used.

Guessing you key is too agressieve.

pure white is filling the holes created by the key.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot from the original footage, let me know if you can see it okay. I understand my green screen background has ripples and shadows, the lighting I had to work with wasn't the best either. Overall this was a difficult shoot and it's made it rough to key in Premier.Original.PNG

Dell Laptop (not sure the exact model, it's my work computer) Windows 10

Premier Pro 2020

Footage shot on a GoPro Hero 7 Black in 2.7K at 30fps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant an original Export Frame from within Premiere of the footage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three tips for next time:

1. Blue is for blondes

2. Blue or green, make sure the screen is lit evenly.

For a better idea of what your green screen should look like, check out the free downloads from Hollywood Camera Work (https://www.hollywoodcamerawork.com/green-screen-plates.html).

3. Shoot a format that's good for keying with 4:2:2 or 4:4:4:4 color sampling.  GoPro is _not_ a format that's good for keying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 1
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to get a better key than I expected from Keylight in After Effects.

Original (0-00-00-00).png

My best guess is that you're getting occasional macro blocking as a result of keying a highly compressed inter-frame 420 color-sampled file format.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 2
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, it's macro blocking in the specular highlights on the subject's eyes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 1
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the subject have green eyes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope! She has brown eyes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with PeruBob ... I would expect it has to do with the color of her eyes, and the easy fix is simply to track an oval mask on most of her face. Won't affect the rest of the image, but would 'protect' the eyes from the green-screen matte.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See white dots on lips; green lipstick? 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 1
Advocate ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like you have holes ( transparancy) in the green screen so that would be adjusting the parameters of the screen attributes ( frame by frame so you see those instants where the eyes are moving through lights ( spectral highlights )).

You're right, it's a question of the 'mask' adjustments to fix that.

I doubt PPro has the ability to do that sort of adjustment but AE might.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense. So I can adjust the transparency frame by frame? Everytime I try, it seems to adjust it for the whole sequence. I'm still VERY new to Premier Pro (been relying on Youtube tutorials to get as far as I have with it lol) and AE is also something I've never messed with either. I'm hoping to figure out a fix that someone can explain to me easily that doesn't include a mask. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not that it matters, but in resolve 15 there's a mask setting for looking at the product of the mask, namely a black and white 'result' of opacity, so you can actually adjust the thing or do what has to be done later in another node or mask.  Hard to explain, but it's not a suprise.... it's easy to see in program monitor.

I don't know if your version of ppro has that sort of ability, but you shouldn't have to wait for the export to see the results.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0