Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 13.1 does not use my eGPU

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin.

Sadly Premiere 13.1 does not use my egpu.

Using Mojava 10.14.4

Egpu is a Vega 64 over thundebrolt3 with the akitio node pro. The Egpu itself works, other programs can use it to render.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-25 um 15.51.40.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about standard exports? No matter whether you have internal or external GPU,  Pr only uses the GPU for certain effects as found on the GPU Accelerated Effects list. This is something many don't understand.

Now, if you have continual WARP Stabilizer or Lumetri on that, andcthe eGPU isn't doing anything, that's an issue.

So just to be sure ... is that an export using heavily things on the GPU Accelerated list?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil!

Therefore i attached the picture where you can see the stress of the gpu (the blue). The internal GPU is 100% stressed most of the time. The egpu 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't see that detail on my phone. Thanks for clarifying that!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, you've got scaling going on so both GPUs should be maxed out.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that, tasaei. Let me see if I can get you some assistance. I'll branch this thread off the main one so we can focus on it a little better.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the picture above it's hard see whether the Apple icon for eGPU is showing at the top row right side . It should show the Vega as connected. Another way to test is to right click on the Premiere Pro icon and goto Properties and check the box where you see [Prefer eGPU] . This is Apples additional support for apps that don't call for the eGPU. We do call for it and you usually don't need to do  this step but I have not tested on your chassis. Mojave eGPU switch.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tasaei,

Did Dave's suggestion assist you at all? Re: Premiere 13.1 does not use my eGPU

Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the Same problem on my 2018 Mac Mini with a Blackmagic Vega 56 eGPU. I'm using PP 13.1.2 and the "prefer eGPU" option is checked.

The eGPU is confirmed working with other apps but this same problem seems to occur with AE and ME as well.

PP recognized the eGPU in all the other ways that it should including yellow render bars and openCL as well as Metal render options. I've been able to use the eGPU with the same hardware on previous versions of PP, but not sure why this one doesn't seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it in use when you have GPU Accelerated effects involved? The GPU doesn't do much in standard playback or render/export situations. Think color work, Warp Stabilizer, that sort of thing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Worked on previous versions but completely ignores my eGPU now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is doing something similar but it is barely using my eGPU at all in Media Encoder.

option to check "prefer external GPU" was once there in Mojave doesn't seem to be there anymore for individual apps.

7941B356-1F6D-4FB6-8F97-B0B251117D3F.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks!

Daves Suggestion did not help.

Not using the hdmi port of the eGPU did help.

Thanks all!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

İ have same problem. Media encoder and premiere doesn't use egpu. I have many different effects on my videos, tried many things but I couldn't solved it. But other programs for example davinci resolve is using egpu very well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full reinstall fixed this for me, not sure what was wrong but that did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What option is set in the Mercury Acceleration setting in the Project settings?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mercury playback engine gpu acceleration (metal) selected now, other options are openCL and software only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue, Premiere 13.1.4, but there are more differences. Exporting to eGPU RX Vega goes for less power than playback.

Video playback in Premiera (Metal), 4K video with LUT, smooth playback.

play.png

Video playback in Premiera (OpenCL), 4K video with LUT, droppped playback.

play opencl.png

Export video (Metal).

export metal.png

Export video (OpenCL).

export opencl.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please explain why having an egpu doesn't speed up the playback of video and only rendering effects and exporting. I realise that's because its the cpu that is used for playback and not the gpu. But it seems with other programs like Final Cut X having an egpu drastically increases the playback performance and not just render/export. Is this just a software issue and will be updated soon in Premere Pro? Or is a egpu always going to be useless for playback? Thank you so much for your time. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere uses GPUs for specific things, such as color and Warp Stabilizer. There's a GPU Accelerated Effects list you can search for.

Over time they've added more things to it. And they do not share upcoming plans.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that. But to be clear a egpu increases playback on AMC and Final Cut X but it doesn't with Preimere Pro. I'm aware it uses the gpu for effects etc. I'm basically going to need to change platforms to Final Cut X if there aren't immediate plans to change the way an egpu is used in Premiere Pro. That's why I was asking if this is something that is going to happen, or if its a cmpletely different build and Preimere Pro is never going to utilise an egpu like Final cut does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no way us users can know before Adobe releases something what they're going to do. So none of us can speculate worth spit and those that know (staff) can't say.

Dave Helmly's comments earlier in this thread did get better performance for some people.  But that may not affect what you are asking about.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to give your good advice. I think I have to change to Final Cut. Thanks Neil! Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use devinchi and blasted 8k 10 mins export in 20 mins on my laptop 2080 rtx max q

does it realy come to this...for the last 10 years adobe been boasting about gpu and how effective it is

blackmagic never even made 1 commercial regarding this

i want my rendring and exporting on gpu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you. If switching to DaVinci and downgrading my Adobe subscription is the only solution besides winning the loto to buy an imac pro, then so be it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines