Exit

Premiere 14.5 Crashes On Startup

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

Premiere Pro 14.5

Computer - Mac Pro (2019) 3.3Ghz 12 Core / 160Gb Ram / Vega II 32Gb / OSX 10.15.7

I just updated to 14.5, as I've heard good thing online, and it keeps crashing on startup. I usually just double-click on project files to open them, and it loads through the blue bar, then I get the watch and spinning wheel, and "application not responding".

The only way I can load a project file I've been working in is to make make a "blank project file", load that, then go to File-Open Project, then it'll do it fine.

If I load Premiere and use the "Open Project" button in the main window, it crashes out.

It ONLY works if I load a dummy project file first, then open other peojects.

I've cleared the caches, no help.

Uninstall and Re-Install, no help.

I'm sick of feeling like an Adobe beta tester, when I'm trying to run a production business, especially atm.

The new version has a serious speed increase, but I need to be about to open projects to start with.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lucas
Melbourne, Australia

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and am also feeling like an Adobe Beta tester.

When I try to open a project created in Premiere 14.0, Premiere won't open and I have to Force Quit.

What I've had to do is create a New Project and Import the 14.0 project into it.

Adobe, please fix this. I'm a fan of now being able to Detach Proxies and Scene Edit Detection, but am not a fan of having to create a New Project and Import the old project into it to get Premiere 14.5 to work.

P.S. It would be wonderful if Premiere added AutoSequence in the future - kind of an essential part of Assistant Editing that users have been asking for since 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try creating a new user account with administrator privileges in system preferences:  users and groups, log in as the new user and see if that solves the problem.  If it does, more than likely another program installation has created a conflict with premiere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--- Updates ---

To be clear, we have been running all of the Adobe CC suite on our Mac Pro since we setup in May/June.

OSX is totally up to date, everythign has been going fine, very stable, no issues at all.

We were running 14.4, and ran the update to 14.5 in the usually way, through the Adobe CC app.

That's were out problems started.

I tried uninstalling the entire Adobre suite and re-installing. Then running the Adobe file cleaning app.
I've done this a couple of times. Notably this app from Adobe did not delete my personal settings, preferences and workspace files.

I made a new user account on our MAC PRO and that did run Premiere ok. Then I setup the app to our normal studio setup, and that killed it.

Going deeper into individual settings, the setting/function that kills Premiere is Mercury Transmit.
We have a new Mac Pro with a single Vega 2 graphics card, runnign 2x BenQ sw271 and 1x viewsonic vp2785. All run through USB-C.
All are i1 hardwear calibrated, and we run the BenQ displays as 4k dual screens, and the Viewsonic as a dedicated Rec.709 1080p output.

It is runnung the 1080p Rec.709 output through Mercury Transmit that causes a bug in Premiere, that makes it fail to launch.

If you launch Preniere with a blank project, that has no Mercury output to initally display, then it is fine, and you can run any projects you like.
If you have Mercury off at launch, you can run Mercury during your work, then turn it off again, before you close Premiere.
For us, if you leave Murcury on, when you close Premiere, it just hangs on launch, and will not startup again.

So there appears to something glitchy about Mercury Transmit outputs.

ADOBE, is there a serious fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if creating a new user solves the problem, then there's some piece of
software or customization that you've done that's causing the problem.
So expecting Adobe to make Premiere work with all the millions of apps
etc out there is unrealistic. Happy to help to try and figure out
what's causing it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be an issue with Mercury Transmit, which is part of Premiere Pro's display setup.
As I laid out, this issue has the same behaviour on a my main profile as it does on my clean one.

All wsa fine in 14.4, and crashed/failed to launch with whatever changed in 14.5 . 

This testing would lead me to believe that it is a Mercury problem from within Premiere Pro. So that's solidly an adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry if I misread your post when you said "I made a new user account on our MAC PRO and that did run Premiere ok."  I see where I might have misread this.  I'd try seeing if mercury transmit works with a single external monitor via usb-c.  and then try adding the second monitor and see if that works.  running 3 monitors via usb-c seems like it might be the problem.   Not sure if you'll get a truly calibrated disply thru usb-c (I really have no idea) but wondering if a blackmagic intensity interface might solve the problem with the cailbrated display.   But really suspect that you're pushing the envelope with this setup.  Hopefully someone else here has a better handle on these issues.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time on this.

Monitor wise, all sre connected on USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 directly from the Vega 2 graphics card, as that's the only real option.

2x BenQ sw271 are running normally

We usually run 1x viewsonic vp2785 as a 1080p/709 fullscreen reference. This is usually done through Mercury. (Prior to covid working from home, this was an LG OLED, for producer/client review.)

All the calibration is done with 14bit 3d lits that are managed by each monitor internally, so there's no software interfearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just suggesting you try adding the monitors one at a time to see if the 2nd or 3rd monitor is the source of your issue...  If you can nail it down, you might be able to get a better answer from someone with better chops here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactally the same issues! Tried many different things but nothing works. Premeire 14.5 

Mac OS 10.15.7 (19H2), iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having the same problem as Lucas - on my iMac and Mac Mini.  After some experimenting I also discovered that the only way to open a project was to make an "empty" one (without media) which I called "Open Work Around" and then open the project I wanted.  Crazy.  Has anyone seen a response from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here I have to load a blank project first then open the projects that have trouble. 

While loading up Premiere resetting the preferenaces works also. But I don't want to reset my changes every time I load it up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to use the same workaround on Premiere 15.0. Created an empty project that I had to launch before opening any other projects. This is nuts.

Luckily I didn't have to use the 2nd workaround @stevenprobets found, resetting my Preferences. That would drive be horrible; I absolutely rely on my Preferences.

I haven't seen any response from Adobe, but if there is, it'd be great if the link could be shared on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I've just taken the plunge and upgraded to latest PP 2021 v15 and projects open normally now!  I'm starting a new edit so will report and issues.  But that's a positive change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW Lucas, I'm in Melbourne too.  I do a lot of large documentary TV projects on PP so have pushed to it's limits and know it pretty well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@marka58148302The first time I've ever had this issue is with PP 2021 v15.0; but I'm glad you aren't having this problem anymore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines